Help Date My DSI !!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Help Date My DSI !!

Postby RhodySail » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am

Hi All,

Just found this site (shame). Over the past 2 years I've been bringin a DSI back into her glory slowly but surely. She had been rigged as a racer but when I recieved her the cuddy cabin was caved in, most of the rebar supports (yep, rebar) were completely rusted out and the glass was delaminating around them. The brass bolts holding the centerboard tight were snapped off and a large metal clamp was being used to keep it water tight, and it wasn't exactly water-tight. The rubrail was falling off, the teak benches (not formed fiberglass) were rotten through, and the paint was chipping just about everywhere. BUT, being a sucker for her lines I decided to give her a good home.

The cuddy cabin is rebuilt and supported by 3/4" ply glassed in under the cuddy cieling. I drilled and tapped the brass housing for the centerboard, her hull, bottom, and interior had been re-painted and the deck is prepped for some brightside which I'm hoping to get done next week. I've purchased White Oak to make new benches and some closed cell flotation to replace the rotten stuff I pulled out of the fore and aft compartments. I also found the right T-track rubrail system through D&R Marine in Assonet, MA (incredible source of daysailer or other O'day owners).

However, I have no idea of her age, i've heard estimates from 1955 - 1969, can anyone help narrow this range down?

Most recognizable features are: No formed seats, no outbouard well in the transsom, steel keelson runs from cb trunk forward about 3 feet, mast is stepped through deck directly onto keeloson (no hinge type system on deck like some newer DS's), original deck color foam green hull powder blue (I'm pretty sure).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. When I'm not procrastinating at work I'll try to upload some photos.
RhodySail

Re: Help Date My DSI !!

Postby GreenLake » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Here are some of the older threads in the DS1 and History sections of this forum, plus other info you might find useful.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Help Date My DSI !!

Postby ctenidae » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 pm

If you'e got wood seats, it's early 1962 or before. I think they were only made for 3-4 years with wood seats. I have sail# 1114, which is pretty reliably dated at late 1962 (using the design changes spreadsheet), and I think it's one of the first to come out of the molds with fiberglass seats. There was no foam in the seats when I opened them up, so either it was made late on a Friday and they forgot, or it was an early one and they hadn't thought of putting floatation foam in there yet.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Return to Day Sailer I Only