Bow eye replacement

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Bow eye replacement

Postby tc53 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:55 am

Given the uncertainty about the thickness of the extra glass in the bow section, I wonder how this might work:

http://www.go2marine.com/product/387757F/sea-dog-eye-nuts-stainless.html

Using the one designed for a 3/8" bolt (part # 228738), I could drill a single hole in the desired location (I would imagine about 6-8" down from the deck), measure the length and get a SS bolt and a few washers to fit. I wonder, though, if it would stay tight once threaded on. Do you think it would help this if I added a lock washer on the near the head of the bolt on the inside, perhaps paired with some Loctite on the threads outside?

The eye itself on this product is smaller (1") than most, but enough to get a snaphook onto, I think.
tc53

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:31 pm

tc53 wrote:Thanks, Greenlake. I would definitely go with the 3/8" version if I get the u-bolt style. Getting and working with a grinder up in that area sounds pretty daunting though. I wonder how think the extra glass is up there. With the single shaft version (the longer shaft of which might make grinding unnecessary), do you have to also drill small, shallow "pilot holes" for the two nubs above and below the shank?

Can't remember whether I had to drill pilots. Even if, it's not something you'll later remember doing, because it's not that difficult.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:33 pm

tc53 wrote:Given the uncertainty about the thickness of the extra glass in the bow section, I wonder how this might work:

http://www.go2marine.com/product/387757F/sea-dog-eye-nuts-stainless.html

Using the one designed for a 3/8" bolt (part # 228738), I could drill a single hole in the desired location (I would imagine about 6-8" down from the deck), measure the length and get a SS bolt and a few washers to fit. I wonder, though, if it would stay tight once threaded on. Do you think it would help this if I added a lock washer on the near the head of the bolt on the inside, perhaps paired with some Loctite on the threads outside?

The eye itself on this product is smaller (1") than most, but enough to get a snaphook onto, I think.

This could work.

Now, I would go and drill a narrow pilot hole for the single shaft. That would give you the missing data on the actual configuration. With that, you can decide whether you need this kind of customizable configuration or not.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only