Trying to identify the age of this hull

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Trying to identify the age of this hull

Postby bpiner1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am

I'm in he process of purchasing this boat which i believe i have identified as a daysailer. It matches all the measurements but I'm having difficulty in identifying the year for title transfer. Can anyone take a look at these and give me a better idea. I have looked over the transom (and crawled all over the boat) and to no avail there are no identification numbers. The only part that keeps sticking out to me is the slot where the mast goes which i have not been able to find any pictures of to help date the boat. I believe it is pre-1972 due to no HIN. I will also attach photos i have for any help. Thanks again in advance for all you help
Attachments
boat2 002.gif
boat2 002.gif (110.4 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
boat2 004.gif
boat2 004.gif (87.55 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
boat2 003.gif
boat2 003.gif (116.25 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
bpiner1

Re: Trying to identify the age of this hull

Postby ctenidae » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 am

I don't know what kind of boat that is, but it's definitely not a Daysailer. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, but the folks here will surely be able to help. There's a phenomenal breadth of hull knowledge here.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:41 am

It could be a Tanzer 16. If you look up images for boats on sale, they show the very characteristic treatment of the CB trunk top and thwarts on can see in your picture.

Any boat after the early 70's will have a HIN affixed in multiple places on the hull, and that number contains the date. Given that you can't find your date, I'd put its date before, say, 1971 - and that is independent of which type of boat yours turns out to be.

In comparing notes among owners of the DaySailer we've found that such older boats often have phantasy dates in the paperwork.

If you have sails that go along with this boat, and if those sails have a sail number that actually is the one for this boat, then contacting whatever class association might exist could be a source for some approximate dating.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm

You might try looking on the Sailing Texas site http://www.sailingtexas.com/csrch.html Putting in Tanzer 16 does bring up some boats that look similar. They have a pretty comprehensive collection of boats that can be pulled up by model and year. All of these are provided by people selling boats, so the information is not always 100% accurate, but there are usually plenty of pictures and information that you may find helpful in zeroing in on the identification of your boat.

Good luck.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:42 am

Maybe a Cape Cod Mercury?

It is a day sailer, but not the Daysailer.
Moose

Return to Day Sailer I Only