what to look for when buying

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

what to look for when buying

Postby aggiesailor65 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:20 pm

I am looking at buying a 1981 Spindrift Daysailer this weekend. Just wondering if there is anything I should be looking for...

I plan on using it mostly for cruising around with friends; however, I would like to take it to regattas as well... maybe even the North Americans. I would like it to be a competitive boat.

Although I have a lot of sailing experience, I have not spent much time in a Daysailer, so I am not very familiar with what to look for when buying one. Any advice?

Thanks
Kevin
aggiesailor65

Re: what to look for when buying

Postby Baysailer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:25 pm

From what I've seen the spindrifts look pretty good but any sailoat is a matter of how well it was taken care of. Here's a few note on what to look at, I tried to keep it DS specific but some is generic too.

Hull: Not all DS's are created equal, some are stiffer than others. The fix isn't real expensive but is time consuming. I think a walk around test in the boat itself will tell you a lot.

Sails: Unlike the hull an easy fix if the sails are worn but expensive. There's a lot of good sailmakers that work with the Daysailer. If you plan to race you will need a spinnaker of course.

Standing rigging: Tapered mast is best, some think absolutely necessary for racing some not. if you plan to race you probably want a keel mounted mast, not one with a hinge to make stepping easier. Stays and other standing rigging other than the spars isn't to expensive or time consuming to get the boat right.

Foils: I don't know how efficient spindrifts foils (centerboard and rudder) were, I know O'days were poor. Either way you should have a good shape to both. You can definitely make better foils than are on o'day's and I'm sure they can be bought too for a price.

Running rigging: This is really personality specific but certainly if you plan to race you will want a way to shape and control the sails with good mainsheet maybe even with a traveller of sorts, jib controls, vang, downhaul or cunningham, jib halyard tension, There's a lot of information on that available and some experimentation too to see what works for you. a good place to see what others are using is the pictures that deb Mason-McCaffrey posts for the nationals. Note blocks, cleats and line can get real expensive so the better that is already on the boat you're further ahead, even if you reconfigure it.
Baysailer

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

I've owned and raced a number of Spindrift Daysailers. One was competitive and two were not. One of the problems with the Spindrift was the construction. They used a balsa core between layers of glass. When new, the hulls were very stiff. But over time, if any of the hull was breached, water would get into the core and eventually rot it. Replacing it is a big job. So I would check for any patches or cracks in the hull, both inside and out. Look for soft spots.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby aggiesailor65 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:22 pm

That is some good information, thanks! Would the '84 Spindrift Daysailer have come with a tapered mast?
aggiesailor65

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Sa far as I know, no tapered mast on the Spindrift Daysailer unless a previous owner purchased one. However, some dealers may have offered it as an option, but none I dealt with. One of my Spindrift Daysailers was a 1984.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby jpclowes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Where are you located? There are fleets in Arlington and Houston.(I'm assuming you are from TX by your screen name.) If you can contact a member from a local fleet, they might be willing to go with you and help you look the boat over.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby aggiesailor65 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:47 am

I am actually in New Orleans, although I did grow up in Texas...
aggiesailor65

Return to Day Sailer I Only