Tricking out my Spindrift Day Sailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tricking out my Spindrift Day Sailer

Postby aggiesailor65 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 pm

So I just bought my first Day Sailer. It is an '84 Spindrift in what looks to be in really good shape. I am looking to make some improvements for better performance cruising, and eventually some racing.

Hiking Straps... How do I install those? I don't see any good attachment points. Anyone have pictures?

Vang... How are the competitive racers rigging those? Right now the vang attaches to the tabernackle (deck-stepped mast)

Mainsheet... From looking at pictures, it looks like the mainsheet should have a bridal or traveler in the stern, then the sheet runs along the boom and down to the centerboard trunk. Mine has a 4:1 purchase in the middle of the boom with no bridal/traveler. To put in a traveler, where would I mount the attachment points on the stern?

Spinnaker... Mine is not rigged for one yet. Where should I put the sheet blocks? Do most people just use guy hooks near the shrouds, or are people using barbur-haulers?

Assuming I found a tapered keel-step mast, how much of a project would it be to install it for the first time?

Any help or pictures would be a huge help! Thanks!

Kevin
aggiesailor65

Re: Tricking out my Spindrift Day Sailer

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:50 pm

And the fun begins! Check out several national champions posts and gallery photos. These guys have shared extensively on the forum so it's worth searching out and reading their posts. That would be Phill Root memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=66 and Mike Gillum memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=529 .
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Day Sailer I Only