Centerboard Troubles

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Centerboard Troubles

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am

"previous owner"
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby OldandBusted » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Got it.

Filled void in cb today. Will work on foil shape next. Any recommendations for primer and paint? Any recommendations for bottom paint as well?

Andy
OldandBusted

Postby kokko » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Truelove sits on the water all summer, so she has an epoxy barrier coat and VC-17 bottom antifouling bottom paint.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby OldandBusted » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm

What is an epoxy barrier coat? Just a coat of epoxy or is it a two part paint?
OldandBusted

Postby kokko » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:43 pm

If you search West marine or Defender you will find a number of products. THe barrier paint prevents water from reaching the gelcoat or the fiberglass. It needs to be covered by a bottom paint.

If you have blistering on the hull the blisters need to be repaired first
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby kokko » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:45 pm

DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby OldandBusted » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Thank you.
OldandBusted

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:07 pm

You can use neat epoxy as well, esp. for something like CB (small area) it may not make sense to buy dedicated product if you have epoxy around, or will use left-overs for later.

Now, special bottom paint is useful/required if boat is docked/moored. It's not needed if boat is sailed "dry".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby UCanoe_2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Old and Busted, you work a lot faster than I do!

The anti-fouling paint applied to my boat by a PO likes to rub off on my clothing at the slightest touch, but paradoxically it was difficult to sand off when I was repairing the centerboard. If you trailer sail your boat, it is unnecessary and noxious. Where are you located and where do you sail?

My boat, DS #1568, went back into the water at last yesterday. Thanks to my old friend John for help with the launching and the rigging adjustments, and for general valuable advice. We had great weather, high about 77*, wind S 8-10 mph at the airport next door, although a bit fluky on the small lake where we were sailing.

Of course I forgot the camera. There will be more photo ops. I'm aiming for the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival in a couple weeks. http://www.cbmm.org/mascf/index.htm
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby OldandBusted » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:47 am

My DS1 spends the summer and fall in the water. We sail in The Thousand Islands on The Mighty St. Lawrence River where the Great Lakes begin their trip to the sea. I do have blistering in the original bottom gelcoat. It sounds like I'll need a barrier coat and a bottom paint.
OldandBusted

Postby kokko » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 am

There are a lot of info about blister repair. Basically you grind them open, fill with marine filler, and cover with epoxy paint. Blisters must be repaired first, and if there is blistering, you need a barrier layer to prevent future blistering.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only