17' Spindrift DS1 - middle drain leaking - newbie

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

17' Spindrift DS1 - middle drain leaking - newbie

Postby bnnauti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 pm

New to sailing - put boat in water first time and found mid-hull drain mechanism leaking. Cans someone adivse me on how to minimize this leakage. The mechanism opens like a scoop facing aft and pulls back up with a locking handle. It all looks in tact from the bottom and from inside, but it evidently doesn't fully seal whenc latched up?

Also, I need help understanding the swing keel. It seems to drop on it's own and the lever only serves to lock in down and keep it from swinging up. Is this proper? That the swing keel is free to float down (or up) anytime the lever is up?

Thanks for any help.
bnnauti

Re: 17' Spindrift DS1 - middle drain leaking - newbie

Postby kokko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 am

The lever arm should friction fit and not move up and down on its own. The lever is clamped in place by a triangular plate and presses the lever against a large neoprene washer. If you search at DR Marine, you can see pics of the parts
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby rnlivingston » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 am

Having owned a few Spindrift Daysailers , over time those bailers leak. I've replaced the rubber gasket, but that was only a short term solution. I've replace the bailer with a new one, but that was expensive. Recently, on a boat I was repairing, I removed the bailer and glassed over the hole.
As mentioned above, the centerboard movement is controlled by friction. If you tighten the three screws holding the triangular plate, the board will stay in any position you set it at. Of course, if you over tighten, you cannot move the board at all.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby bnnauti » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the help all. I"ll try some petroleum jelly on the bailer and get in the water at least once before it hardens (in the UP of MI).
bnnauti

Return to Day Sailer I Only