Daysailor Wood Coamings

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Daysailor Wood Coamings

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 pm

kokko,

Key Lime Sailing Club? If so, enjoy dinner at Mrs. Mac's Kitchen!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby jeadstx » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Since we had snow and ice here in central Texas last night and I couldn't get into the office till the streets melted, I thought I would go measure the cockpit on the Rhodes 19 to see how it's wood coamings would match with the DS1 coamings. If they are the same or close, then Stuart Marine would have replacements. My coamings are off currently, but the approximate dimensions are 5'-8" long from the cuddy cabin to the rear of the cockpit and 4'-4" wide for the aft end of the cockpit and 5'-1" at the cuddy cabin end. It was little hard to get dimensions as my tarp over the cockpit was frozen in place.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby phsailor » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks for posting the Spindrift picture. There are some differences compared to my boat. It looks like there is an inner gunnel wall under the 2 inch piece of wood. My boat has no wall. It is just like the O'Day DS1. There is nothing other than one triangular piece connecting the shelf (or rails) to the gunnels. I think it will be necessary to add the wood coamings for support. I found a Spindrift in Sarasota that has the wide wood coamings just like the O’Day DS1. Interestingly the wood does not connect in front in the cabin area but stops a few inches before the cabin area. It seems that there are many inconsistencies.
phsailor

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 am

Yes, there are a lot of inconsistencies between manufacturers, even though it's a one design. If you look at the racing rules you'll see that there are a lot of liberties that can be taken. What are consistent are the hull shape, foil shapes, and the sail plan. Even though there are many variations allowed within the rules, the boats remain amazingly competitive from the oldest right on up through the newest. Though, the oldest DS 1 design seems to be the most sought after for racing.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby kokko » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 am

We did enjoy Mrs. Mac's. We also went to Snappers a couple of times, and to the fish market.
All in all it was a nice operation. The boats we clean and sound, but they were all about 30 years old. First day out we picked up a pod of ten dolphins off Porjoe, and they followed us all the way back.
The only bad decision we made was driving to Key West. A waste of a day.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only