Having Fun

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Having Fun

Postby ddodgen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

My Sunfish Daysailer 16 is mechanically the same as the DS1 and I am going to use some local muscle to put the boat up on sawhorses so I can scrape and refinish the bottom The fun part was trying to remove the centerboard. Loaded with barnacles it just would not budge and after removing the lever pressure plate I spent about an hour trying to remove the lever. Nice that it was so snug so no real wear. The centerboard is finally out and can be refinished. My question is : when I finally get the boat upside down how do I clean out the centerboard trunk. Not wide enough for my hand and a scraper and too deep for a scraper. I know someone has had the same problem and hope I can get some hints.
ddodgen

Re: Having Fun

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am

DD,

I'm glad that you're having so much fun with your new boat!

I don't think you're going to have to get very far up into the trunk while removing barnacles. The water line should only be about 5 inches up in there. Once you knock the tops off of the barnacles scraping and sanding the husks is a pain. Makeshift tools with long handles or handle extensions can make it work much easier. Here's a link to an earlier thread on the subject viewtopic.php?t=3622 .
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 pm

One thing I have learned is that once the barnacles dry out, they come off much easier. Use a flood light and shine on the hull/centerboard trunk whenever you can. To get up in the trunk, use a scraper duct taped to a pole and this works well for the gross cleaning, then sand paper onto a car sponge also duct taped to a pole. Good luck!
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby ddodgen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

been a few weeks while I scape and remove bunch of barnacles, remove old bottom paint, repaint above water line and below and now apply boot stripe. Pretty pleased with the work. Now I want to let it sit for about 3 weeks to cure before I get all of the neighbors to help me turn her over and put back on trailer. Then the work topside begins. I think that from I can see the gelcoat is in great shape just needs cleaning and compound/polish. Will be installing the centerboard this coming week.
Attachments
‌finished 1.JPG
‌finished 1.JPG (140.33 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
ddodgen

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:38 pm

That looks great! I love the color.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby ddodgen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:16 pm

She came yellow with a nasty black bottom paint and black bootstripe. As I was stripping her I did not see any other color so I guess she came from the factory that a way. Couldn't stand the black bottom so I used an Interlux VC Performance Epoxy bottom since it will be trailered. I have used Interlux before and as usual it was easy to apply and I think it looks just right. Thanks for the compliment.

Can't wait to turn her over and see if my estimate of the topsides is true. Water in June.
ddodgen

Postby curifin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 pm

That looks really good!
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby Moose » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:34 am

That looks nice!

I've wanted to paint my boat yellow for a while but I have the old multicolored sails (pink, purple, and blue) which would just be too much color.

Moose
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 am

Moose,

I think you should go for it! That color would be perfect with your sails! Sure, they would be Easter colors and you might get some static from some quarters. However, I think you would put smiles on most people's faces that saw you sailing by.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 am

DD,

Is that Brightsides Yellow? It looks more intense than the Fighting Lady Yellow.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby ddodgen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes, Interlux Brightsides yellow. A little brighter than the original yellow but it grows on you. I have restored an old Chris Craft 35', a 30' Owens and built several small sailboat and rowboats with Brightsides and it never disappoints.
ddodgen

Return to Day Sailer I Only