CAPE COD SHIP BUILDING C/B FIT

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CAPE COD SHIP BUILDING C/B FIT

Postby hotwheels » Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm about to order a centerboard for my DS 1 #3923 (hull #21231, from "The O'Day Co., Fall River Massachusetts) from Cape Cod Shipbuilding. Has anyone out there purchased and fitted this C/B ? Any problems ? I would like to see an engineering drawing with dimensions, they only have the mold. I was hoping this would be a plug and play fit in my DS 1. Any and all help would be appreciated.
hotwheels

Re: CAPE COD SHIP BUILDING C/B FIT

Postby kokko » Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Dr marine has them.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Alan » Thu May 08, 2014 6:16 pm

The class-legal centerboard dimensions are in the Handbook, here (page 6):

http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/dsbylaw3.pdf

CCS should be able to tell you whether their board is class legal.

Have you asked CCS directly whether their board will work in your boat? When I contacted them, they were able to tell me that their board would not work in my DSII, so they may be able to give you a definite yes or no on your DSI.

And as Kokko mentioned, D&R Marine has DSI centerboards.
Alan

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat May 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Cape Cod Shipbuilding has two versions of center boards, as least last time I checked. I believe the old version that they made was not class legal. The newer, more expensive version is class legal and is higher performance, as well. The DaySailer Association paid for molds that were taken from the highly regarded Water Rat center boards.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Bob Damon » Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 pm

The main question for fit for your boat and the CCSB built centerboard will be width of your trunk and width of the board. So check with them on the width. Bob Gafney in Sharon, MA purchased one and it went into his O'day DS without a problem. The previous boards were created when Sunfish-Laser Inc (SLI) was making the boat. It did not specifically meet our specifications but because it came from the class approved builder, those boards are grandfathered in. At one time CCSB had a few of these boards left over at a great discount. The current board is from a Waterrat design. We had a plug built (currently stored in my house) and then molds so the board CCSB makes is a Waterrat shape but wholey fiberglass therefore heavier than the custom Waterrat board you can have made. Current weight of the CCSB boards are around 20 lbs, with class max being 25 lbs. Good luck!
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Day Sailer I Only