DS1 Rotted Floor - remove?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Rotted Floor - remove?

Postby wa1bda » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:06 am

Hi all,
I have a new (to me!) DS1 with a solid, flat floor above the bilge. (air space in the bilge) I took a couple of core samples last weekend and the floor sandwich (looks like fiberglass, plywood, fiberglass) was completely soaked and there was some water in the bilge.

My plan (subject to your input) is to rip out the entire floor, add oak cross pieces (frames) and epoxy/glass them to the hull (with proper drain limbar holes) and then put in removable floorboards that will sit on the cross pieces. This will not be watertight so rain water will collect in the bilge below the waterline... possibly sinking the boat if it's not attended to.

This would probably make the boat ineligable for class races, but that's not really an issue for me.

What does the group think?

Thanks,

Dick, Portland, ME
wa1bda

Re: DS1 Rotted Floor - remove?

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Dick

It sounds like you have a post O'Day Daysailer. It would help to know which one. Also pictures would help.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Re: DS1 Rotted Floor - remove?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:05 pm

What are the age and builder of your DS1, and is it in original configuration?

Floor boards in my '63 DS1 are wooden gratings that are floating on their own cross-ribs (the latter not attached to the boat). That was the original design. Now, I don't leave the boat uncovered or on the water, so collecting rain water isn't an issue.

I don't know that your modification would make the boat no longer class legal, the intent of the rules seems to be to preserve the outer lines of the hull, with rather wide latitude as regards interior stiffeners and similar modifications. Go to the top of this site (daysailor.org) and look for the Handbook in the links to read up on the bylaws.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only