New DS owner needs some help

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS owner needs some help

Postby Just4fun63 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 am

Hi everyone!
Been reading for a long time waiting for my first Daysailer and I finally got one. She a 1967 hull number 16025 (according to the title) sail number 2872
She's In Very good shape and has been rigged for racing with what I have been told is a Proctor D mast. The issue I have is the mast heel. The halyards run inside (3) and come out the bottom. Of the three sheaves one is very badly corroded. At the top of the mast the main halyard sheave is totally frozen. I need to replace the heel and top.
Do any of you have a source ? I've looked a Selden but I'm not sure what to buy. D&R doesn't list them unless I overlooked it. I've jury rigged the halyards for now so I can sail but would live to get it fixed right

Tom
Tom
DS-1 " Yankiwi "
Just4fun63

Re: New DS owner needs some help

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 am

Tom,

congratulations. Now about:

"according to the title"

Registration information for any boat before 1972 (the introduction of the HIN) is quite often fanciful.
Certainly a sail number wouldn't be 0000 and since O'Day celebrated the 1500th DS1 in 1963, I don't think
you would have hull 16025 in the DS numbering - rather, this could be the number of *all* hulls made
by O'Day, as has been pointed out here (see history).

Your real sail number, given a run-rate of about 500 in those years, would be in the 3000-4000 range.
If there's no number on any of the sails in that range, and no plaque on the boat, you could ask the
DSA secretary to assign you one that isn't currently registered so you can join a race if you are
interested.

D&R should have those sheaves, I believe I got my replacement sheaves from them. Look for "the list" and then for the DS-specific listings. Under Mast and Boom you find both complete mast heads as well as sheaves only. They are nylon (or something like that) and cheap enough that you can afford buying a set and experiment whether they will fit.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Mike Gillum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Tom,
Several years ago Selden bought Proctor Spars and it sounds like you probably have an older Proctor Mast.
Have you tried Penetrating Lubricants to loosen the corrosion? Another alternative is to punch out the pins for the sheaves and then scrape/clean the corrosion?
Otherwise take several photographs and contact APS in Annapolis, Maryland for the replacement parts as they're a Selden Dealer.
Mike Gillum DS #2772
Mike Gillum

Postby Just4fun63 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for the info. I have tried penetrating oil and also removing the pins. No luck on either. I removed the heel from the mast and put it a ultra sonic cleaner with no luck. I think I could push the pins with an arbor press but I don't have access to one. I think I will drill the pins out and replace them.
Thanks again.
Tom
DS-1 " Yankiwi "
Just4fun63

Return to Day Sailer I Only