Boom tent

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Boom tent

Postby Just4fun63 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:08 am

Alan wrote:Thanks, GL. It was taken at Morro Bay on the south-central California coast, where crew and self spent a few days recently. Perfect sailing conditions and weather - we saw two Daysailers and a similar boat scooting around amongst the moored big boats. One of the Daysailers was really moving, maybe even planing for a bit.

We had the ocean kayak with us this time, but I'm working on a sales pitch for why we really need to bring the DS on a future trip.

You should have come visited us at Morro Bay YC. I think we currently have the largest Daysailer fleet. Race two to three time a month!
I was wondering what that structure was for.
Tom
DS-1 " Yankiwi "
Just4fun63

Postby seandwyer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

My response may be too late, but I had a local awning and tent shop make my boom tent. They used Sunbrella material, cut to my specifications, added the number of grommets I wanted, in the color I wanted etc. Since they make tents (for outdoor occasions, festivals etc, and awnings for homes) they use really durable thread and include a bottle of seem sealer in the deal. All told this can be done for about 75 to 100 bucks. I have only used it for a single season, but it shows absolutely no wear whatsoever and I would guess I will get at least four more years out of it.

My only caution is that since a company like this isn't in the boomtent business they make things according to your specs, so be sure to get your measurements down. My tent is a little too big because I mis-measured :oops:

I don't know if you have a company like this near you, but if so you might check into it. This time of year they might even give you a deal!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Alan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the invitation! We'll be there later this year, with the kayak at least.

In 2013 we did talk to a couple of guys from the Otter fleet (we were kayaking near the YC dock and retrieved a piece of foam they were using, that had blown into the water). We went up and watched them work on a racing DSI - pretty cool.

I'm guessing the structure is a shelter while the boat is being worked on. Anyway, at one point I saw a couple of guys who looked like they were doing some sort of repair work.
Alan

Postby Just4fun63 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Alan wrote:Tom,

Thanks for the invitation! We'll be there later this year, with the kayak at least

Bring your DS. You don't have to be a member to race. Google Morro Bay Yacht Club for the web site and dates. We have a lot of very knowledgeable DS sailors in the club. (I'm not one of them) :D
Tom
DS-1 " Yankiwi "
Just4fun63

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only