Outboard motor well dimensions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Outboard motor well dimensions

Postby flandersfrank » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Is anyone able to provide me with the dimensions of the ds1 motor well? My hull is 1000 miles away and I'd like to use an old piece of mahogany trim I have laying around to fabricate something to protect the transom from attaching my 4 horse

Thanks
Flandersfrank
flandersfrank

Re: Outboard motor well dimensions

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:52 pm

My hull is too far to get to as well, so I can't help you with dimensions, but I'd like to share how I solved the issue of protecting the transom. I'm using a trolling motor, but the way it clamps to the transom should be similar enough.

Instead of reinforcing the boat, I added some padding and reinforcement to the clamp.

I took a sheet of the felt-padding that is sold for gluing under furniture (it's about the size of a small postcard) and glued it on the inside of the motor side of the clamp. That left the two screws on the opposite side that normally end in two flat cups. I glued a strip of wood across both cups to prevent marking up the inside of the motor well and to distribute the load further. I didn't go much outside the existing dimensions, so the clamp still fits with room to spare, but the overall surface area is now double what it was, and the wood is soft enough to not dent or scratch the fiberglass, like the metal cups might have.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only