Barnacle - Spindrift Daysailer One

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Barnacle - Spindrift Daysailer One

Postby JD11 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 pm

This is the Barnacle Thread.
The owner had it listed as a dolphin. No pictures. When I finally got a photo or two, I googled Daysailer One and found this forum. It was a done deal after that. Turns out it's a 1984 Spindrift Daysailer One, complete, in very nice condition. The wood was recently redone. :D

We've named it "Barnacle." It will be a great platform to teach the kids to sail. And we're planning an expedition to circumnavigate the tip of Michigan through the Inland Waterway, Lake Michigan, and Lake Huron. I will post our transformation from "racing class" to "expedition class", and our eventual trip progress here.

( :( Buzzkill, photos have to be less than 256k and gallery less than 500mb???)
Last edited by JD11 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
JD11

Re: Barnacle - Spindrift Daysailer One

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:47 am

Check the forum called "Forum Info and How to Use the Forum" for details on posting images and suggestions how to resize the files. Hint: file size for a compressed jpg image is much less than raw pixel dimensions would indicate. I usually post 800x600 sized images compressed to 50-60% quality (medium compression) which gives file sizes under 100KB and still acceptable images (as you can see in my gallery). As long as you use some image compression, you can go to higher pixel dimensions than that and still stay under the limits easily. Your attachments are a bit small, I bet they are uncompressed or barely compressed and you tried scaling as the only method to get smaller files.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JD11 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Last edited by JD11 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD11

Postby JD11 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Expedition: the Michigan 99

My daughter wanted to know "where will we sail the Barnacle?" There are a variety of lakes in our area of Michigan and I could have named any one of them.
Her question wasn't so much about which lake would we try, but more along the lines of "we have a boat--so where are we going?" It guess its reasonable to a ten year old, a boat is for sailing to somewhere, not just 'round a pond. Right, perhaps we need something a little more adventure oriented. Days on the water, going somewhere. Living like a pirate. A once in a lifetime adventure to inspire all other childhood adventures. I reasoned a destination cruise would be a great goal. The outfitting of the boat, practice sails, and safety drills...a great way to keep the kids interested, since we'd always be working towards a goal. The goal: a big trip that could not readily be concieved by ten year olds.

I found the Inland Waterway in northern Michigan, and then I realized it might be possible to circumnavigate the Tip of the Mitt in a daysailer. The Inland Waterway is 36 miles from Cheboygan to Petoskey with a 1 mile portage from lake park to lake park. If we could get the Barnacle across the parking lot and down the street 5,280 ft, we might be able to circumnavigate the entire thing. Bridges, and lighthouses, canals, beaches and big water. We might even be able to go without a motor... Imagine that, 99 miles by small boat and we don't need no stinking motor.

By my estimation, its about 99 miles roundtrip, although it might well be less, maybe more, so who cares, it sounds good. We will call the expedition the Michigan 99. And we will prepare the Barnacle to take the trip sometime in 2016. Maybe spring break. Can we make 99 miles in 7 days? We'll wait and see.

JD11

Postby JD11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 pm

GreenLake wrote:Check the forum called "Forum Info and How to Use the Forum" for details on posting images and suggestions how to resize the files. Hint: file size for a compressed jpg image is much less than raw pixel dimensions would indicate. I usually post 800x600 sized images compressed to 50-60% quality (medium compression) which gives file sizes under 100KB and still acceptable images (as you can see in my gallery). As long as you use some image compression, you can go to higher pixel dimensions than that and still stay under the limits easily. Your attachments are a bit small, I bet they are uncompressed or barely compressed and you tried scaling as the only method to get smaller files.

I have been messing with posting pictures, and no offense but this is extremely inconvenient and it really is a very poor setup. I belong to several other forums and is it me or are these sizes very small? I will post the ones I have but it's just a pain to me :(
Last edited by JD11 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JD11

Postby JD11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Photos from a weekend of work outfitting the boat for trips ahead. One of the first things I noted is the boat has no deck cleats, so it can't be held to an anchor rode, or even tied to a dock. So I added four cleats amidships and on the aft deck, and a fore deck cleat with chocks.
Also added oar sockets. On the Spindrift, these can be put right into the coaming as the deck is solid and turn down of the toe rail lip. A nice piece of wood or starboard works as a backing plate under the socket.
Interior needed some organization. Two 10x18" cargo nets and some rubber pole holders and eyelets to strap things down. Now we're getting somewhere.
Motor mount installed.
Old spreader boots replaced
JD11

Postby jeadstx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:06 pm

If your trip is about 99 miles, you should easily be able to sail it in 7 days. The Texas 200 this year is 220 miles and will be done in 6 days (same route in 2013 was done in 5 days). The Florida 120 usually do their 120 miles in 4 days. Currently in planning is the Mississippi 110 which is being planned for 4 days for a 110 mile trip.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:46 pm

That's a nice boat you picked up. I'm in the same process, I bought a DSIII on EBay in November from a Sailing Club in Delaware. I just picked it up yesterday and brought it home. My son is so excited about the 'new' boat, he wants to sleep in it! I'm originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan and I never heard of this route before, it's very cool. I'd almost like to trailer my boat up there and give that route a try. That would be great to sail under the Mackinac Bridge! I'm also interested in the engine-less route. I'm going to install the oarlocks and try sculling it as I've read about sailors doing on much bigger boats! (Sloacum, Pardies, etc.) I've been working all winter on learning to sail, mostly just reading everything I can get my hands on. But, I've also visited the Boat Show, passed the Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC) and buying equipment for the boat in small lots. I've been looking for deals on EBay, like I found a decent Danforth with six feet of chain and 200' of rode for $40 with shipping! Good luck and enjoy the time with kids.
Lucas Parrish
1986 DaySailer 3 (first boat ever!)
NoCashOnBoard

Postby JD11 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks NoCash. Its been a fun project so far, good luck

Since the boat was never named, we decided to christen her "Barnacle." We created a name board to mount to the transom. I used a pice of 1/4" thick hobby board, and coated it with expoy, then painted it blue. The letters came from exterior grade vinyl which can be cut with a cricket hobby cutting device. This the type of thing that might be used in scrap booking. You buy the exterior grade vinyl from Amazon and you can cut all sorts of things. I then used transfer tape to put the letters onto the painted board. Then coated the board with letters with Helsman Spar Polyeurothane. This last step keeps the letters from peeling up and makes everything nice and glossy.

Mounting the silver dollar under the maststep :)
We conducted an official renaming ceremony as per instructions, blessing the boat, and renaming it. Henceforth this boat is Barnacle.

JD11

Postby JD11 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Inspection of the floatation foam turned out ok. I installed one inspection port in the cockpit and found the foam to be rock hard and dry, completely filling the entire seat cavity. I opted to not cut anymore holes in the boat, and gave up on the remaining inspection ports. Boat could use a good wash now

JD11

Postby JD11 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am

Sorry to say, I found another boat.
"Barnacle" will be for sale. Check the For Sale section
But I will keep you posted on the Michigan 99, as we are still planning to go :D
JD11

Return to Day Sailer I Only