Inspection ports?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Inspection ports?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:20 pm

Just bought a DSI..1969, wood trim, open bow. Being at LEAST the 3rd owner, I want to ensure the correct floatation is there. In reading this site I've seen the phrase "inspection ports", but am confused as to exactly what that means. Clarify?

Thanks to all - great site that helped seal my deal.

Tom Beames (tbeames-at-cs.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:31 pm

Inspection Ports are usually plastic access ports or covers used to get into a closed area of the boat yet be able to reclose the access easily and preferably watertight. Many owners have added these usually 4" or 6" diameter ports to the flotation tanks of their Day Sailer I boats. The Day Sailer II (and I believe, the DS III) have 2 inspection/bailing ports located at the forward end of the cockpit, one on each side of the CB trunk, to access the bilge area and the cb pivot bolt.
Popular brands of Inspection Ports are BECKSON and PYI. They ar sold in most Marine Hardware stores and the 4" versions average about $7 each.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only