My first sailboat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

My first sailboat

Postby pcardune » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi everybody,

I just bought my first sailboat which I believe to be an O'Day Day Sailer I. I got it off of craigslist and it could use a lot of work but is just barely in sailable condition. I'd love to ask you all a few questions and see if I can get some tips on how to get this boat in tip top shape.

First, a photo from the maiden voyage. We sailed across the sound from Shilshole Marina in Seattle to Bainbridge Island:

2015-07-12 13.55.30-1 copy.jpg
2015-07-12 13.55.30-1 copy.jpg (221.71 KiB) Viewed 16270 times

I'm not sure what year the boat was made and couldn't find a hull number anywhere, but I think it is a very early model on account of the wooden benches. Any guesses as to what year it was built?

Here's a view of the boat on the trailer which shows more of the details:

whole boat.jpeg
whole boat.jpeg (172.09 KiB) Viewed 16270 times

And a full gallery of photos of various details of the boat can be found at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4v318qsvuj4y ... sLtLa?dl=0

I have a long list of questions about the boat that maybe you all can help me answer. To avoid overwhelming everybody, I'll start with just one: The boat came with this Hangkai 3.5 hp motor. We got the motor to start, but we couldn't get the propeller to engage and start spinning. I think something might be broken. Does anyone have experience with this brand of motor and have any suggestions to offer? Reading online, it sounds like this is a pretty crappy motor, so if I can't figure out how to fix it on my own, I might just buy a new outboard. What types of motors do you all recommend if I go that direction?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdgdhtczz33tg ... r.jpg?dl=0

I live in Seattle near Shilshole Marina. If anyone lives in the Seattle area, I'd love to meet up and go for a sail or swap notes.
I have a circa 1958 Daysailer and I live in Seattle. Find me on facebook: http://fb.com/pcardune.
pcardune

Re: My first sailboat

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Nice boat. Somewhere the boat seems to have acquired a set of sails from a Coronado 15.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:03 pm

Your boat looks like all the original Daysailer 1's I've seen with the wooden benches and the molded lines in the deck. Without a sail number it is hard to guess the year, but I would put it at around 1959. Overall it looks in good condition.
As far as the motor goes, I've never seen a motor like that, but pull the prop off and see if it has a shear pin. If the prop just spins on the shaft, that is the problem and easily fixed.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:37 pm

On one of the pictures is looks as if the rudder blade has been installed backwards.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:55 pm

So, let's see here:

The motor. Recycle it. Where you're sailing you don't need unpleasant surprises. The numerous vents tell me it may be air cooled. There's no reason at all to do that in an outboard unless your product is "designed" with extremely low production costs in mind. And just as a double-check: Can you buy parts for it? Get service? Are the posts online that say the motor is not so terrific dated from several years ago, meaning the company is long gone?

You can get a Tohatsu-built 2014-model 4-stroke, also marketed under the Nissan and Mercury brand names, in 2.5 hp and 3.5 hp versions. The 2.5 hp can be found online for about $750, no tax, free shipping. The 3.5 hp is about $1000. 38 pounds each, if memory serves, so not too much for the transom of a Daysailer.

The rudder. Looks hand-built (well, OK, it doesn't look anything my DSII). GreenLake, I'm thinking you're right that the blade does look like it's backwards - to me, it looks like a centerboard installed backwards.

The shield next to the jib sheet cleats. A puzzlement.

Standup spinnaker blocks on the aft corners. Was this a racer, once upon a time?
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:05 pm

And another puzzlement: The wood across the top of the cuddy opening. Doesn't appear in most DSI photos, but neither do the wooden benches.

OK, another one. What years did the outboard well appear/disappear?
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Alan, the Honda 2 is an air cooled 4 stroke that does just fine ... ?

This boat is an enigma for sure. Very early DS no doubt, with lots of "mods" along the way ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:49 am

There's currently a listing for another early DS1 out there (just a few clicks away by search) and it matches this one in several features. So, assigning it a tentative '59 doesn't seem to be an issue. Which of the items shown are original and which are not, that would be the question. My knowledge of (very) early DS's is entirely second hand (mine being a relatively "late" '63)...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 am

We have the same vintage DS 1 at our club and over the years the hardware has been updated and modified which seems to be the case of your boat. Evidently the previous owner was a talented woodworker since all the wood seems recent along with a strip along the trailing edge of the cuddy...probably to cover up some damage to that area. The rudder cheeks and tiller also seem to be recent.

These boats were well built and the boat at our club is a very competitive racer
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby Kerrald » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Get rid of that motor as soon as you can. They're cheapo ebay deals and as you note, they're not well reviewed. You should be able to find a reasonably priced 2-3hp on Craigslist in good working order for fairly cheap.
Kerrald

Postby pcardune » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions on the motor. Is 2.5hp enough for this boat? From what I understand, the 4hp motors come with an external gas tank that let you extend your trip. I'm thinking of eventually doing a multi-day trip up the Puget Sound to the San Juan Islands (80 miles) and I'm thinking an external gas tank might come in handy. Do any of you have opinions on this?
I have a circa 1958 Daysailer and I live in Seattle. Find me on facebook: http://fb.com/pcardune.
pcardune

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:39 am

You could get a Lehr that runs on propane cylinders. A green can will last about an hour and you can "refuel" without mess by snapping a new one in. Some people here on the forum have experience with them. I've seen them used and can confirm that they are nice in that there's no exhaust smell (or fuel smell). As engine, it's otherwise neither the best nor the worst. 2.5 hp is normally fine, if you are worried about running in high current areas, get the 4hp (but don't let that lead you into temptation -- that is, don't assume that just by having a motor you'll be able to have Scotty beam you up out of every situation).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby pcardune » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 pm

After some hack sawing I managed to take the rudder apart and turn it around. How does this look?

2015-07-23 20.36.09.jpg
2015-07-23 20.36.09.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 16120 times
pcardune

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Does it swing the 90 degrees?

Your bolt holding it is rather small, so it might take quite a bit of tightening to keep the rudder down by friction (perhaps that was the reason the PO reversed it ?? ).

Anyway, a downhaul could be rigged if it proves a problem. On mine, I need to use a pair of pliers to go a bit beyond finger tight on the wing nut, then it works fine.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Rebelreck » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Nice old boat.
Stupidity deserves it's own reward!!!
Rebelreck

Return to Day Sailer I Only