Got a DSI, First Sailboat. Just a couple questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Got a DSI, First Sailboat. Just a couple questions

Postby hpernia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello! I recently bought a nice 1970 DS1 for my first sailboat. Previously I've sailed mainly Flying Scots and FJs. It's in great shape for it's age in my opinion and I'm loving it so far. The only thing I've done to it so far is make the middle section floorboards since the originals were missing and I figured moving around inside without them could stress the hull, especially while on a trailer. From what I've read the few issues it has are fairly common. The biggest that I'm worried about is the corner of the port side seats where they meet the hull has cracked. There's no movement of the seat that I can tell but I'm careful not to put all my weight on it. Is this something that should be fixed or not to worry about? Also, whenever I switch seats they make a 'whooshing' air sound out of the front plugs which is a bit annoying and I'm not sure how to solve since they flex some (normal?).

Other than that I plan on putting wider bunks on the trailer since I can see minor flex in the hull, and it's definitely being used as a 'trailer sailor'. I also plan on adding a boom vang and a topping lift. The centerboard sags a bit and the floor paint is chipping in places, but there are no blemishes that I've found on the outside of the hull and just the occasional spider cracks on the seats and around the edges. Anything else I should consider doing to keep a 45 year old boat in great shape?

hpernia

Re: Got a DSI, First Sailboat. Just a couple questions

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Welcome.

The wooshing sound seems familiar. If it comes only from the plugs, it would indicate that there are not other places where the air can get out of the tanks, so they are should work as intended. The woosh means that the plugs aren't fully tight, but if they are indeed the only opening into the tank I would expect that such a slightly leaky plug would only admit a trickle of water if submerged, because the air can't get out to make room for more. It it bugs you, get better plugs.

The crack is hard to diagnose from afar. Is it just a shallow crack in the gelcoat, or is a massive, goes through the laminate kind of crack (if the latter, why doesn't the air whoosh there?). For peace of mind you could slap a layer of glass and epoxy over it. But then you have to paint the epoxy or otherwise shield it from UV.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hpernia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm

I can get a picture in a few days, but it's definitely through the gelcoat and into the fiberglass. The previous owner told me he stepped on the corner of the seat while it was on the trailer and it went "crunch!". He wasn't exactly a salesman. I mainly want to make sure it's not going to damage the hull; cosmetically it doesn't make a difference. The plugs are tight but probably very old and the rubber has become brittle or something, I can try replacing those, but is it normal for the bench to flex slightly, or could that indicate problems with the flotation?
hpernia

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:34 am

the flexing is normal, and the damage you report is something you'd want to fix. I've not been able to break any seats and I step everywhere, so let's get your picture. (Please make sure one can tell the scale from the picture. There are too many pictures here of mystery cracks where it's impossible to tell whether they are 2" and magnified or 10"... :shock: )
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Pilot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:44 pm

I found a late 60's DS l and looking to prepare the boat and the rig for racing. I am in the Boston area and would appreciate some input before I start working on the boat. Is there someone currently racing and could guide me with boat preparation and set up. It would also be great to see another finished boat. I don't mind driving as far down as CT or NY.
Pilot

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:01 am

Hi

I have a 1973 O'Day DS1 that is set up for racing. I'm out in Worcester, MA and would be happy to help you set up your boat for racing. I also recently restored a 1963 O'Day DS1 and made it race ready for my son.

Roger Livingston
508-852-3363
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby Pilot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I remember racing Daysailers back in my college years in the early 80's on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester against Holy Cross. I will give you a call and look forward to speaking with you seeing the boats. Thanks Roger. Bob
Pilot

Postby Pilot » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:41 am

The plate on the fwd bulkhead has Class # 2580. I'm guessing this DS I was built in 1965? Looking at the other numbers in the history log. Can anyone confirm if this is correct. Thanks, Bob
Pilot

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 am

Based on this list, the date would fall between 1966 and 1967.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Pilot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for this list - good to know. I emptied the 3 tanks in my garage this weekend. With the mild New England temps the foam had unfrozen. Cut holes with a saber saw for a Viking 5" port in each seat tank and a 6" in the fwd tank. I was amazed at how much stuff came out of the boat and how much lighter my hull is now. Bob
Pilot

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 am

I went for an 8" port in my front tank. So much easier to access with a larger port. But glad you got this done. You don't mention any replacement. Since tanks can leak, it's good to have something in there to assure flotation. Pool noodles, closed water bottles, hard foam that's not as easily waterlogged. But something.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Piffle4179 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:30 am

Am also restoring a DS1 in the Boston area. Am looking forward to competing with Fleet 67 in Wakefield, just one of a few active fleets in the area. Would be glad to share ideas etc. JP
Piffle4179

Postby Pilot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 am

I'll let the tanks dry out then vacuum clean and install the ports. Will pool noodle in the Spring. Sounds good JP I would look forward to sharing stuff as we work on our boats... innovationmatters@comcast.net Bob
Pilot

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Didn't know "pool noodle" was now a verb. :? Strange thing, that, language.

BTW, would encourage you to continue to share your progress and concerns here as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hsumralljr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Here's the noodles I used to replace the styrofoam in the floatation tanks. I liked this noodle since it's 2" in diameter, and has a solid core. Seemed like it would displace more air space than larger hollow core noodles. I originally ordered 2 cases, and have since ordered a third.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AK8B4E
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only