Daysailer 1 vs Catlina Capri 16.5

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer 1 vs Catlina Capri 16.5

Postby domromer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 am

Has anyone here owned a capri 16.5 or sailed one. I've got a friend selling one for a very good deal and I was thinking of picking it up. It's close enough to my daysailer 1 that I'm not sure if I'd keep both. In terms of specs the capri is a little bit wider a little longer and weighs 100lbs less. Can anyone speak to how it sails vs a daysailer?
domromer

Re: Daysailer 1 vs Catlina Capri 16.5

Postby GreenLake » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am

Less weight, more sail area, deeper CB and flatter hull - that gives you the main point of difference in terms of sailing characteristics. You are looking at a boat that will be somewhat quicker to respond to gusts, where you will need to hike sooner, and get off the water sooner as the wind builds.

There's less stowage and the side decks look designed for easy hiking. All in all it looks like a (somewhat) more spirited boat, but one that would seem less suitable for taking on extended cruises. The difference to the DS will not be as dramatic as with a 5o5, for example. (The latter adds another 25sqft of sail area and has 200lbs less, and is designed to be sailed with the crew on a trapeze.)

Ultimately, it depends on your style of sailing, as well as perhaps your sailing area. If most days bring you moderate winds at best, getting a boat with a bit more sail area per displacement might be the answer. If, instead, you often get conditions where you have all the wind that you can handle, getting a boat with more sail area would not seem the answer. From the flatter bow area, the Capri looks like it might be a wetter boat in chop (and because of the lower weight, might have a harder time pushing through) so it might prefer (even) flatter waters than the DS. And because it is wider and lighter, I expect it would be a bit easier to get it on a plane
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:34 am

While Green Lake has provided an excellent thorough evaluation of the Capri and your choice, I see a more direct answer. I read "friend" and "very good deal" on another sailboat and wonder why you don't own it yet and when you will give us an evaluation of their similarities and differences. :wink: There's always room for another boat.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:25 am

What an excellent suggestion. Perhaps more people own multiple boats (of any kind) and can get is comparative reviews?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:32 pm

I hesitated to get into this conversation, as I know nothing about the Capri 16.5. I did look up its Portsmouth number and it's very close to that of a Daysailer. Being that the Daysailer is often referred to as a ratings beater, I would guess they were very close in performance. For me, it would be hard to keep up with two boats that were similar unless I raced in two different classes. As you said, you would probably not keep both. Have you sailed with your friend on this boat? Are there other boats for class racing in your area? Is it in enough better shape or enough more fun than your Daysailer to be a replacement? Could you add some enhancements to your present boat to make it even more fun and stay within budget? Do you have two locations that you keep boats and could be sailing and not have to move a boat back-and-forth?

It is always fun to think about a new boat, especially off-season! :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Day Sailer I Only