DS I Centerboard problem

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I Centerboard problem

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:59 pm

Hello All:
I recently purchased my second DS I after 31 years without one. This one has the problem of the centerboard protruding down below the hull a good 8" - 10" even with the pawl engaged in the handle, the supposedly "UP" position. The pawl is not mangled or deformed. The notch in the centerboard handle seems to be in order. Wonder if anyone can suggest a quick, easy, cheap remedy for this. It is awkward to have to strap up the board when launching to prevent it jamming the boat on the trailer. A previous note mentions careening the boat on the beach to get good access to the centerboard trunk. Has anyone tried this? By hauling down on the mast sidestays. Is this not too stressful on the rigging? ALmost seems like a great strain on the chainplates.
All answers appreciated.
Dave Roscoe East Bridgewater MA

Dave Roscoe (w1dwz-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2001 10:52 pm

You may want to take a look at the hole in the Center Board, to see if it may be deformed (rounded out).

With boat on trailer remove 3 screws from plate that holds center board Handle in place.....
Remove plate then slide out handle....
Using a flash light inspect the cenerboard hole to be square and about the same size as the square drive on the handel.

If board slides down during inspection use a small screw driver or awl to slide it back into position and reinstall the handel and plate.

My boat (Rebel 11023) dose not have a catch to hold th e CB in place and depends on a rubber gasket and tension on the plate to hold it in the position chosen.

Hope this helps,
Good Luck
Dave

Dave (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 3:36 pm

Dave,

I had centreboard repairs to do this year as well - as far as careening is concerned, I too had reservations. I had good luck simply by extending my boat off of its trailer to an acceptable degree to allow for inspection and repair. Mind you, my method requires working on your back, though the stress to tbe boat and rigging is nil...

Bill (wmahoney-at-smsllc.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 4:52 pm

Careening a DS palces almost no stress on the hull or rig...assuming that you use a soft surface. I pull t he boat about half way out of the water....bow first so that the bailer isnt crushed. Its a typical method used in my area for flying scotts which weigh 50% more than a DS. Until you try it you overestimate the amout of effort required. I'd say the rig is stressed more every time you sail the boat in over 12 knots of wind.
You use two people to pull down on the main halyard with about 200 pounds of force. the same tow people sititng on the rail in 15 knots of wind create more stress on the rig.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:43 pm

I dragged up this discussion for Dave R.

Wanted also to relay that pulling the boat off the trailer (resting on keel bunk just forward of the CB slot) and supporting the aft end with a sawhorse is a very easy way to remove, inspect the entire centerboard, including the condition of the head, which can show delamination if undue force has been applied to the handle.

Good luck!
Peter McMinn

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:31 pm

I've written up something with a couple of photos that I hope will help folks understand how the centerboard pawl system works.
Go to:
http://www.bobhunkins.com/surprise/archive/000487.html
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Day Sailer I Only