DS1 first purchase advice please

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 first purchase advice please

Postby peuth » Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Novice here, looking to buy a DS as there is an active fleet in my area. Found this one not too distant from where I live. Question- is this a reasonable asking price? Any opinions on the price or other aspects are greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://fresno.craigslist.org/boa/5550687489.html
peuth

Re: DS1 first purchase advice please

Postby Alan » Mon May 02, 2016 7:27 pm

$2100 is a decent price for a boat in ready-to-sail condition. If the stays (shrouds and forestay) are the original 3/32-inch wire, you'll want to replace them with 1/8-inch wire stays, which you can get from D&R Marine.

I'd give the trailer a close look. The wheels are pretty rusty, which hints to me that the bearings may need repacking or replacement.
Alan

Re: DS1 first purchase advice please

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Trailer bearings are moderately easy to maintain yourself and when a trailer is used in the water are simply a regular maintenance item like tires. Best to pop a wheel and have a look, either when you get home, or before you get on the road (esp. if you have some ways to go).

There's probably always something to fix / add to a boat like that, even only to fit some personal preference. That said, for the asking price you should expect to be able to sail the boat "as-is" first (and not have to do major work first). The boats, esp. the older ones, are eminently repairable, so most "defects" become a matter of price negotiation. If the sails are recent (from date of manufacture, not when they were bought used by the seller) that may justify a bit higher price, less the older they are and about even after 10+ years of actual use.

Minor cracks in the gelcoat or painted gelcoat can be expected with a boat that age, but check for major visible damage or soft spots (check the flat areas of the hull supported by the trailer bunks). You're not the first one to ask this, read back a year or two and you'll find earlier discussions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only