Mainsheet-How To-Help needed

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsheet-How To-Help needed

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1987 Day Sailer I made by Precision; HULL#130029.

I asked a million question when I bought it but didn't think twice about asking how to run the mainsheet rigging.

I am completely lost as it does not have a traveller.

The boom has two blocks near the center, then there is another block on the center board, and a main sheet cleat and swivel.

I have a few more questions, but I'll do one at a time.

Thanks,
Jeremy
1987DSPrecision

Re: Mainsheet-How To-Help needed

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:48 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jeremy.

This could be an attempt to rig center-boom sheeting without a fiddle block.

Normally, you'd have a fiddle block (two stacked blocks) tied to the boom and another fiddle block (with a becket) fixed to the swivel. Each has an inner (smaller) and outer (larger) block.

You'd tie the sheet to the becket, run it up over the inner block, down around the inner block, up again over the outer block, down around the outer block and out to the cleat.

However, instead of a fiddle block, you can use tow blocks placed next to each other. It's a little less elegant, but works just the same. (Instead of "inner" and "outer", you get a "fore" and "aft"). In some cases, instead of a becket, there's a separate eye (on the CB) to which the mainsheet would be tied.

Now, I haven't seen this arrangement on a DS, but I have sailed on much larger boats where this is done to distribute the load on the boom (by separating the attachment points of the two blocks).

See, whether this might fit the arrangement you find on your boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Wait is this a becket?

1987DSPrecision

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Ok here is a rough draft of what I am working with:

Where do I tie off and in what order do I run the mainsheet through the blocks and the single metal loop closest to the mast.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremy
1987DSPrecision

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:21 pm

1987DSPrecision wrote:Wait is this a becket?

Yep, that's a single block with a becket in your picture
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:24 pm

1987DSPrecision wrote:Where do I tie off and in what order do I run the mainsheet through the blocks and the single metal loop closest to the mast.

Tie the mainsheet to becket on forward block on the CB. Run up to forward block on the mast, down to same block on CB, up again to aft block on mast, down to swivel block and out to cleat.

Ignore the eye near the mast - that's for something else.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Makes perfect sense!

Thanks for the help.
1987DSPrecision

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:47 pm

1987DSPrecision

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 am

That image shows a setup where "B" is on a traveler. Which would give you more control over sailshape than what your boat is rigged for. Otherwise, it's just like what you describe. Go rig and sail it. Get some experience, then decide you want it like this, or something totally different.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby michaelstalone » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:17 pm

GreenLake wrote:Welcome to the forum, Jeremy.

This could be an attempt to rig center-boom sheeting without a fiddle block.

Normally, you'd have a fiddle block (two stacked blocks) tied to the boom and another fiddle block (with a becket) fixed to the swivel. Each has an inner (smaller) and outer (larger) block.

You'd tie the sheet to the becket, run it up over the inner block, down around the inner block, up again over the outer block, down around the outer block and out to the cleat.

However, instead of a fiddle block, you can use tow blocks placed next to each other. It's a little less elegant, but works just the same. (Instead of "inner" and "outer", you get a "fore" and "aft"). In some cases, instead of a becket, there's a separate eye (on the CB) to which the mainsheet would be tied.

Now, I haven't seen this arrangement on a DS, but I have sailed on much larger boats where this is done to distribute the load on the boom (by separating the attachment points of the two blocks).

See, whether this might fit the arrangement you find on your boat.

Hi!
I have this same exact setup without the fiddle block or traveller. Any recommendations for an upgrade? It might just be personal preference, but I'm willing to try something if it's an improvement.
Thanks!
michaelstalone

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:12 pm

Michael,
with any upgrade, the questions are "what is broken with what you have?" and "what do you want to achieve?".

Nothing in the old discussion here really touched on any "must-have" type improvements. Those are ones where there's a clear and measurable difference in ease of use, or performance, or both not related to simple preferences.

For the boom there are two upgrades that make a definite difference: adding a high-powered vang (see any of the many threads on that), or adding a ratchet block (see any of several threads on that).

Center boom vs. end-boom, while I haven't been able to personally observe someone make that change in either direction, it strikes me as potentially minor difference (assuming you have a vang). Keeping the center boom but replacing the upper fiddle so that one of the blocks can become a ratchet block might be useful, if that's the only way you can get a ratchet block into the system.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby michaelstalone » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:28 am

Awesome, thank you!
michaelstalone

Return to Day Sailer I Only