Removing a keel-stepped mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Removing a keel-stepped mast

Postby SkeezixAndBek » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:32 am

Sorry, searching did not work well, link me to answers if you wish.

New-to-me DS1 was purchased sitting on a lift, so I have never worked with the mast. Keel-stepped, sitting on a mast jack at the keel. I like GreenLake's hingesleeve and probably will replicate it. But looking for tips on getting it down the first time, alone, without building anything. I can work with it on the trailer. I suspect using a halyard through a block at the bow? But I can't think of where to set the bottom of the mast while I tip it down. I'll get help if I need it.. That is the safe bet. But the PO always did it alone so there must be a way. Any link to a video or discussion will probably be all I need. The other complication is that he lowered it into a crutch on the tiller gudgeons, but mine are gone right now in the midst of a transom rot repair. I'll just toss together a simple wood support to sit in the cockpit once.
SkeezixAndBek

Re: Removing a keel-stepped mast

Postby kokko » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:43 am

The mast is awkward, but not heavy. One guy lifting straight up, and another to catch it as it is tipped down.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby jeadstx » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:54 pm

If the mast is still up, I would guess the boat is at a marina or yacht club. If so, there might be a pole with rigging to take down a mast. At the marina I use (and at a area yacht club) there is what looks like a telephone pole witattachment=0]h a block and tackle on it for taking down or putting up a mast.

Attached is a picture of a DS1 at the 2014 Wurstfest Regatta preparing to take down their mast using the pole with tackle next to them.
[DS1 Mast take down.jpg[/attachment]

John
Attachments
DS1 Mast take down.jpg
DS1 Mast take down.jpg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 pm

kokko wrote:The mast is awkward, but not heavy. One guy lifting straight up, and another to catch it as it is tipped down.

That. If you are short, stand on the thwarts to "receive" it, otherwise in the front of the cockpit. The "catcher" should be able to control most of the tipping, with the "holder" helping just a little, but, most importantly, using a foot to make sure the heel of the mast does not escape forward.

Alternative, keep the mast straight with one person controlling the bottom, one the upper end and move it sideways and onto the ground. Then one person holds it high and uses a foot as described, while the other "walks" it to level. The advantage is that there's a bit more room to walk the mast, if you do this operation on the ground.

(I routinely step and unstep this kind of mast by myself - however, I have a gizmo that holds the bottom of the mast in position, so it pivots rather than escapes forward. With two people, one person can make sure to keep the bottom of the mast in position)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Baysailer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I do this regularly and it's not as bad as you think but does take some thinking. As Kokko said it is not heavy but is awkward. The main trick is to keep the mast in column and not allowed to lean as you are removing. Here's the steps I use.

1. Prep the mast: Disconnect the stays and tie or zip to the mast, same for any lines. Of course the boom is removed and not in your way. I always keep the cockpit clear as well. Have some bumpers or cusions on the aft deck and if you have one a mast crutch on the rear as well.

2. Lift mast to cuddy: Stand on the cuddy centered behind the mast facing forard. Grab the mast with your hands a foot or two apart. This will give control as you lift the mast and the ability to keep it vertical. Lift the mast inching with your hands or hand over hand whatever is more comfortable. I inch. When it gets to the hole it may catch alittle, this is because ofthe rivets but it will clear. Once the mast is clear move it to the left about 6 inches or so and set the bottom on the cuddy top. Hold it with your hands about shoulder height. This will allow you to gather and get ready for the next step and make it easier to hold in column. This will not damage the cuddy any.

3. Cuddy to deck: Again recenter yourself with one hand about shoulder high and the other a little higher. Now lift the mast just clear of the cuddy and move to the deck aside the cuddy, keeping the mast vertical the whole time. Set bottom down on deck between the cuddy and the rubrail. This is my second rest stop. Again recenter for the next step.

4. Lower mast to ground: Now lift the mast to clear the boats edge and start lowering to ground again using the inch method or hand over hand. Once on the ground rest the bottom on the ground.

5. Laying mast down: Now for the last step. Still standing on the cuddy but nearer the edge and centered over mast, hold the mast higher with seperation between hands for control. There are two methods to use to lay the mast down, one you will hop walk the bottom along the ground leaning it until you are holding near center. At this point you can pick it up and set it where you want. The only issue is you will be between the stays above the spreaders. The second you will lift the mast slightly and pivot it to lay it down. This is how I do it laying the top of the mast on the mast crutch ont eh back and when its in place put the bottom in the trailer mast holder. With this method you need to be aware that the mast will be top heavy and will take some effort to keep it from coming down hard.

I know it sounds convoluted but is not bad. I've done in high winds adn crowded areas without issue, I don't like the crowds though. The only thing that messes me up is if the ramp area is not level then I need to make it vertical as soon as I pull it from the mast jack.

Good luck.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby SkeezixAndBek » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks Fred! That detailed explanation should be all I need. I can see that lowering the base to tbe ground while standing on the deck gains you some feet of mast to make it less top-heavy and therefore more manageable. I move a long extended ladder around vertically fairly often if there is no wind. The mast should be a lot easier than that. I just had to picture myself not limited by the boat.

Yes jeadstx, the boat is at a sailing club. Buying it was how I bought into the club. No big boats there though. The lake is only 6-8 feet deep. So not sure if a mast hoist like you describe is present. I've seen a few masts go up, and some would have hoisted if they could I think.

Probably going to add a sleeve like GreenLake's. I'm actually refurbishing and selling it because I now bought something else with a closed cuddy. But the next owner will be trailering it around so he'll appreciate the setup.
SkeezixAndBek

Return to Day Sailer I Only