New to Me: 1963 O'day Day sailer # 2235

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New to Me: 1963 O'day Day sailer # 2235

Postby CGaboury » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:37 am

Just picked her up for a whopping $400. She's in decent structural condition. Just need to knock the ugly off her. The plans for this fall/winter are to sand and repaint the hull. Also, Paint the deck and cabin. Also, the woodwork could use some love. The standing rigging is all great. The running rigging is a mixed bag. I'll likely be replacing all of it. Lastly, it has the original floorboards that are in rough condition. I'll be replacing them if I can find someone to make me a new set. I'm ok with refinishing woodwork, but creating new floorboards is beyond my ability. The trailer needs some serious attention also. Picture below.

I'll be spending the foreseeable future reading up as much as I can on this forum.

I'm located in Mashpee, MAssachusetts on Cape Cod. Any forum members local to the cape? I'd love to check out some local Day Sailers for inspiration.

https://ibb.co/cKxh0z
Attachments
IMG_3040.JPG
2235-DS1
IMG_3040.JPG (221.54 KiB) Viewed 10397 times
CGaboury

Re: New to Me: 1963 O'day Day sailer # 2235

Postby tomodda » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi CG,

I had my eye on that boat, the price is certainly right! Glad she found a new home, wishing you fair winds with her.

"Knock the ugly off".. haven't heard that in a while! Exactly what my #37 needs too. Hope we can compare notes as we fix our new toys up.

Looking at you photos, she's in really good shape. Needs paint, obviously. For the coamings, assuming no rot, you should be OK with sanding and a few coats of varnish. Do you have a decent orbital sander? Don't need anything fancy, but a 4" sander will do most of what you are gonna need. I have new floorboards somewhere in my future, seems to me that it's all easy carpentry except the outermost plank, which has one curved edge. Bandsaw it, or farm it out to someone with a good bandsaw. Anyway, a small winter-time project.

In the meantime, go sailing! Nevermind the rust on the trailer, but repack your trailer bearings ASAP.....

Tom
tomodda

Postby CGaboury » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey Tom,

You must be in the New England area!

I’ve got all the tools I need. The trailer is rough because it has a bad leaf spring. I’ll be redoing the trailer. Luckily the previous owner repacked the bearings recently.

I plan on taking her out on the water tomorrow (8/23) just to see where she stands.i live a miles from the Mashpee Neck marina and boat launch. It’s essentially at the end of my street, so I can have her in Popponessett Bay in 20 minutes.

I’ll let you know how she does.
CGaboury

Postby tomodda » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:59 pm

How was the sail today? I'm actually in North Carolina, but was prepared to drive up your way and get her, but then a DS1 came up for sale an hour away. So luck was smiling on both of us and on these old gals in getting a new life.

I never heard of Popponesset Bay, I thought that the South side of the Cape was just beach straight across. I'm obviously wrong, looks like a fascinating place to sail! What are the tides and currents like?

Tom
tomodda

Postby CGaboury » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Well, not so great!

Got the boat in the water. Was raising the sails and the attachment at the end of the boom for the main sheet broke. So that needs to be fixed now. Anyone know the name of this part? I’m sure I could just attach a boom bail and get it going, but I’d like to fix it how I got it.
CGaboury

Postby tomodda » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 am

>Anyone know the name of this part?

That, at the end of the boom, is the "Falldowngo"

<rimshot>

Seriously, I assume you're talking about the boom end cap, which has an eye cast in it. D&R appears to sell it as a "boom end casting," so $15 solves your problem.

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 am

CGaboury wrote:... the attachment at the end of the boom for the main sheet broke. So that needs to be fixed now. Anyone know the name of this part? I’m sure I could just attach a boom bail and get it going, but I’d like to fix it how I got it.

How did it break?

I remember that mine came apart some years ago and that I could fix it with a new bolt. I may have had to take off the end cap (and rivet it back on when done), but it's too long ago for details.

On my DS1, the part is simply a SS strap with two holes. And it's attached with a single large diameter SS bolt to the center of the boom end-cap. I had to be a bit creative with washers to get the spacing right; I may have used a carriage bolt to get the smooth head, but that would have required some spacer to get past the squared off part of the shaft.

I checked, the past is not listed on the D&R Marine site, which otherwise is the best source for DS-specific parts. In any case, the repair wasn't complicated.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby CGaboury » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks for the input. But my boom is not original. From my understanding the original boom is an oval shape. Mine is a square shape. My mast and boom aren’t stock pieces. So I’ll have to get creative. I could solve the issue in a million diff ways. I was hoping for the same part, but I feel as though I’ll have to come up with a diff solution. Worse case I move to mid-boom sheeting until I get the end cap fixed.
CGaboury

Postby CGaboury » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:01 am

Here is a picture of the piece in question:
Attachments
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg (148.76 KiB) Viewed 10285 times
CGaboury

Postby tomodda » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am

Ahn, I thought you had lost the whole end cap. That looks like some sort of tang? Suggestion - go to West Marine and see what they've got.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am

Or you can get a local machine shop to replicate that for you out of 316 SS.

Or you may be able to find some matching part online, but it may be hard to locate it given the usual search engines. You'd think somebody would sell a part like that - a short SS strap with two holes.

Looks almost like the SS U-channel was already an attempt to adapt the non-standard boom. In any case, you'll need to take it off and rivet it back on. Make sure to use TefGel to electrically isolate any dissimilar metals. (A single tube will last you for many years).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 am

The part is close to a "strap tang" as used in rigging, but I'm not sure about the precise dimension and whether it's easy to source that matches. But if you search for that, you'll find those SS straps with two holes.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby CGaboury » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm

I kept the end cap on but added a boom bail on the back end for the main sheet. I like the idea of four mounting points rather than one. Some day I’ll feplace the end cap with another and use it as a topping lift. But for now, she will sail.
CGaboury

Return to Day Sailer I Only