Page 1 of 1

Foam under seats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 am
by Relentless
This is what was under the seats. This is only one side. The styrofoam was so saturated it was heavy. But it wasn’t dripping water. As a matter of fact it didn’t even feel wet on the outside. I estimated it all weighed about 40 pounds.

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:53 pm
by GreenLake
Interesting that you write it didn't feel wet. I took some out the front of my boat, but that was dripping wet at the bottom, since water hat gotten into the tank from the boat sitting nose down when the trailer tongue had fallen off its support in a rainstorm, with all the water puddling against the drain hole in the bulkhead. . .

You have pix of your access ports?

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:36 pm
by kokko
A common problem. I replaced my waterlogged foam with swim noodles. Others have used liter soda bottles.
Note there is foam blocks packed into the bow flotation chamber as well as the seats

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm
by Relentless
How I got the foam out.

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19 pm
by GreenLake
Thanks for the picture. Didn't know about the masonry blade.

Many people swear by a Dremel tool for this job. I simply drilled closely-spaced holes in a perforation-like pattern.

804

Matter of not wanting to purchase another tool. It wasn't nearly as tedious a method as I had feared.

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:33 pm
by amedsker
What size of access ports were you able to fit? This is a project I need to get done on my DS1 too.

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm
by GreenLake
Larger one for the front than the seats. Haven't gotten around to doing the seats yet. . .

Re: Foam under seats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:35 pm
by GreenLake
I checked and the ones I bought for the project were 4" opening, but measure 6.5" in outer diameter.

You may check whether the seat fronts fit an 8.5" circle in which case you could get the 6" opening; for this project, the largest size that fits is indicated.

As I mentioned, I didn't go through with this at the time and the reason may well have been that I realized I bought a size too small.

Also, if you wait with installing the deck plate until after you've done the foam removal/replacement, you'll give yourself an extra .25" - .5" of opening to work with as the threads take up some room; that can make quite a difference I found.