Help setting up my running rigging

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Help setting up my running rigging

Postby WaterCat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello,

I purchased an SLI built DS1 this summer. Completed ASA101 a couple of weeks ago and recently tried to rig my boat. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a few things wrong here. Any help or advice on doing this right or improving what I’ve got set up would be greatly appreciated.

#1 looks like I need some help with my traveler set up
#2 no clew where to attach the clew outhaul (take it easy on my first attempt at sailing humor :wink: )
#3 is my main sheet set up right (I don’t think it is)

Thanks in advance for advice or direction!
Attachments
EA51FF52-9066-4E43-BD62-CE5F88D6A91C.jpeg
EA51FF52-9066-4E43-BD62-CE5F88D6A91C.jpeg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
58CCB889-90FD-40CD-B397-CD998DD449A3.jpeg
58CCB889-90FD-40CD-B397-CD998DD449A3.jpeg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
4446F3FA-AE7E-4E48-AA22-031D028350F4.jpeg
4446F3FA-AE7E-4E48-AA22-031D028350F4.jpeg (33.55 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
WaterCat

Re: Help setting up my running rigging

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum!

First, given the hardware you have; I don't see anything that looks incorrect with your traveler. You may experiment with leaving it longer or shorter, but given the hardware you have that would be the way to set it up. Your mainsheet is also rigged as it should be.

The outhaul is supposed to go through both of the holes on the end of the boom (and back once more through the clew, all for getting a bit more purchase). After the outhaul comes out of the second hole at the end of the boom there should be a cleat somewhere along the boom to tie it off. If there's none, you could simply start by tying the outhaul to itself. A bit crude and doesn't allow for adjustments under way, but gets you on the water.

Anyway, I'd start by just looping clew-lower hole-clew-upper-hole then tighten and tie the outhaul to itself. Then go sailing!

Now, most DS users eventually upgrade part of the rigging to suit their sailing styles. As you don't have a baseline, why not first sail the boat the way it is, but to give you some ideas of possible upgrades:

You have the two blocks for sheet/traveler connected back to back, so they can run freely along a fixed traveler. In my setup, I have only a single block and it is tied (with a knot) to the center of the traveler. However, instead of a line across as in your case, mine is a triangle that runs over two stand-up blocks on the transom (where you have the eye straps) and can be fixed (or released) as needed. If released, it works like yours, allowing the sheet block to travel downwind, but if fixed, it forces the sheet block to remain upwind a bit more, which can help with upwind trim. (It has a loop that goes over a hook under my transom; if unhooked it can go side-to-side, if hooked, it forms a fixed triangle).

(click to enlarge)

For your first objective, that is, to get out and enjoy sailing, these are differences that don't matter.

For the mainsheet, I would eventually replace the block at the center of the boom with a ratchet block (Ronstan 55 is what I use and it works like a charm on the auto setting). I sailed many years without, so it can be done, but it was definitely a good upgrade. This photo shows the block, but as used for the jib sheet.

(click to enlarge)

Similarly, for the outhaul, you want to eventually be able to adjust that easily while on the water. Here's a picture of my setup from a few years back, using small (18-20 mm) blocks.

(click to enlarge)

However, I've moved on a bit from that. I've removed the single block lashed to the sail and just feed the outhaul through the clew as original; I've kept the double block lashed to the boom as the friction in the holes felt a bit much. The reason I removed the single blocks is that my new sails were so long in the foot that the blocks would be touching before there was enough tension; even though I already used the smallest blocks.

I'm using a V cleat on the side of the boom, about half-way to the center. Different from the photo, I now lead the tail forward and held parallel to the boom with a bit of soft bungee tied to the forward end (there's an eyestrap at the front of the book for that). That way, I can reach the outhaul from about anywhere and adjust it underway.

While your outhaul isn't easily adjustable, just set it for the highest winds you are likely to encounter that day and it should be fine for going out and getting some practice. (In strong and very! light winds, the outhaul should be tight to flatten the sail, in moderately weak winds, if it's a bit loose you'll get a bit more power). Given the choice, you might flatten your sail a bit more, as being caught in stronger winds with a belly in the sail may be more of an issue than sailing too slow in lighter winds (and, in lighter winds, if they persist, you may be able to reach the end of your boom for an adjustment, something not so advisable if you are overpowered...).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby WaterCat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi Green Lake,

Thank you so much for the welcome and the thoughtful reply. That was REALLY helpful. I’m heading to the lake next weekend to see if I can put this baby and my new found confidence into action :D . Thanks again for making me feel welcome to the forum and the DSA.
WaterCat

Postby tomodda » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Watercat!

How did your weekend sail go? One suggestion for after you've got your mainsail sorted out and put ratchet blocks on all your sheets - jib inhaulers, aka barbers. Search on this forum for info, but they allow you to control the "slot" between the jib and mainsail. As the wind kicks up, you can close the slot and increase the flow over the main. You''ll notice the difference in how the mainsail draws and hopefully in overall speed.

I'm ready to be contradicted here, but in my opinion, the jib doesn't contribute much to the "drive" of the Daysailer, It's just too small to provide much lift. The jib's main functions are to:

#1 Balance the rig. Its crucial going upwind for controlling weather helm. And good luck tacking without it! (Hint: roll tack if you are without the jib)
#2 A leading edge control surface (slats) for the mainsail. Best explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading-edge_slat

The details of jib set are a whole other topic - again, search this forum - but IMHO a barber/inhauler is the first additional secondary control to put on your jib. After ratchet-blocks, of course - your primary control.

In case you want some bedtime reading:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/5194152/the-aerodynamics-of-sail-interactioncdr-arvelgentrycom

This specifically deals with main/jib interactions. The main affects the jib as well, it's a positive feedback loop that you can control with the inhaulers. There are some more Avrel Gentry articles at the bottom of the page I've linked, they're all good. "The Origins of Lift" is a real mind-blower, still trying to wrap my head around his "circulation fields." Food for thought. Gentry Steering Tufts are for real though, try them!:

https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3569&p=15383&hilit=gentry#p15383

Best,

Tom
tomodda

Postby WaterCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information! I will definitely do my research using the resources you shared. This coming weekend is the weekend I’ll be sailing assuming we have favorable weather(fingers crossed)! Really looking forward to it.

Thanks again and I’ll be in touch.

All the best,

Shayne
WaterCat

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 am

Tom, not fair throwing the graduate course at a freshman. Shayne, this info is all good stuff, but don't expect that you can wrap your mind around it after a single reading. Expect that some will only make sense after you've sailed some (and some only after you've tried various trim options and then gone back and re-read the description again).

Barber inhauls are great; you need to know how far you can maximally use them, and in what conditions. They help in pointing in flat water in winds that are moderate and stronger, except when you are getting overpowered. In light and very light winds, you let them out, as you do if winds are strong. In that middle ground, where the boat is moving well, you can try pulling them so the clew of the jib comes inboard a bit. My sailmaker gave me an exact figure how far, and I placed a tape mark there (but don't remember the distance from the shrouds). The tape mark prevents me from over-tightening and makes it easier to tell crew about a desired adjustment (e.g. "half way").

Do you have proper telltales on your jib and main?

If so, your first focus would be to be able to sail with them flying properly. You may learn/practice how to adjust the jib car fore/aft so that the jib luffs evenly, etc. Once you have that down, you can play with inhauls and see whether you can sail a bit higher on the wind and/or with better speed (measured in the upwind direction or VMG).

Practice setting the main sheet so main and jib work together before you alter the setup by adjusting any inhauls.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 am

Shayne:

I am sorry! This should have clued me in:

Completed ASA101 a couple of weeks ago...

It really helps when I read! GL is absolutely right, you have seasons of sailing enjoyment ahead of you as you learn to drive your DS. It's a great boat to learn on, and the best part is that you'll never stop learning. There are many layers of subtleties and adjustments you can make to eke out that last bit of boat speed and control. But learn to run before you start chewing gum and skipping rope (choose your own metaphor here). All you really need to know for sailing is upwind vs downwind. Taking the ASA courses was a great start, and you'll build on that using your eyes and hands and feel of the boat. Come back to aerodynamic theory and secondary sail control later, much later. Go have fun!

And I hope that you'll feel free to ask questions here. Everyone is very supportive and MOST actually read your entire question before they go spouting off about aerodynamics....

Sheepishly,

Tom
tomodda

Return to Day Sailer I Only