Cockpit trim: cuddy deck

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cockpit trim: cuddy deck

Postby tc53 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:16 pm

This is probably not the right thread for this, but I could not find anything that seems to fit. Has anyone ever added a wood coaming to the aft edge of the cuddy cabin top? My old DS 1 has had an ugly crack in this edge, presumably from an errant and heavy foot step some time before I bought the boat. Having, a few years back, refinished all of the coaming, bench seats, and thwart, I've been considering adding a thin (3/8" X 2", approx) mahogany strip across this aft edge. Has anyone ever done something like this?
tc53

Re: Cockpit trim: cuddy deck

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:25 pm

The aft edge of the older DS1 cuddy decks is internally reinforced with rebar (actual rebar).

If rusts starts because of that crack, the rust will expand, and the crack will worsen over time. So, first order of business is to ensure that isn't an issue. If it is, you may need to remove the rebar and replace it by wood or some other suitable material, which is then epoxied in place and glassed over. (There have been threads on that somewhere: for example this one on "Ideas on repairing cuddy crown").

If the damage is truly cosmetic, adding a wooden strip on the outside like you propose may be an effective solution. Just be sure that any holes you drill don't allow water to access the rebar.

Here's from a recent thread, where someone is just adding additional support below (AFAIK without having removed the rebar).

PS: I made a new thread for you; I think this is different from the standard coaming discussion.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tc53 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks again, Greenlake. I can see, on the aft underside of the cuddy deck, where the rebar is glassed. The crack has been there since I bought the boat about 9 years ago, and there's no sign of any rust, so I am presuming the seal has not been compromised. If I do go with the cosmetic fix, I'll make sure the screws don't penetrate that sealed compartment.

I'll need to use something fairly thin, 1/4" perhaps, so that it will bend to follow the contour of the cuddy edge, and I'll need to cut the piece out of at least a 5-6" wide piece to allow for the vertical arc of the same. At present, I'm having trouble finding mahogany that thin in the 62"+ length I will need. I may have to get something more like 3/4" thick and plane it down. A lot of work for a cosmetic fix.
tc53

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:21 am

Since you are not planning anything structural, you might be able to assemble something from smaller pieces. Although a thin piece will be challenging there as well. However, if you were to split the piece in two halves (starboard and port) and were to hide the seam at the crown behind something, it may well look nice.

Not having seen a picture of the damage that you are trying to hide, there's still the unanswered question of why wooden trim would be the solution of choice. Normally, you'd just repair cracked fiberglass. Remind us again, why you think that's not an option?

In a parallel thread, I posted an image from another user that I found today rummaging around older threads. I'm copying it here again, because of the strategically placed inclinometer (or heeling indicator). Something like that would be a clever way to hide a vertical seam at the crown. Alternatively, you could simply leave a gap and insert a small wooden piece with decorative intent. Perhaps in a slightly contrasting color or grain, or with a different shape or thickness so it becomes a cap piece that stands out.

All of these strategies would help solve your difficulty trying to source a single piece.

Here's the image.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm

I plan to add some trim to the aft edge. It is cut out, but the boat is still in storage. Check with me in 3 weeks and I can report on this
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Day Sailer I Only