New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1

Postby tomodda » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Looking good! You're brave standing on the thwart mounts, but it's certainly a good test. All the best getting her on the water!

Tom
tomodda

Postby igotit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:08 pm

tomodda wrote:Looking good! You're brave standing on the thwart mounts, but it's certainly a good test. All the best getting her on the water!

Tom

Thanx
I tend to over build with fiberglass.this morning i had some left over resin from the transom.....so i put another layer of 2.5 over the thwart mounts......just incase i gain alotta weight in the future lmao.
I figured id load test it now.....if its gonna fail,rather it fail now.
But in reality the load will be side load in the form of impacts and jolts from waves hitting the sides of the hull.and the forces applied from the centerboard trying to lay the trunk on its side...lol.im positive im alot stiffer and stronger than stock.
I was holding onto the rafters of my shop while doing the stand and bounce test,incase it failed...i wouldnt bust my @#$ as bad.
Lol
igotit

Postby igotit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:31 pm

my sander decided to burn up.....so i went ahead and decided to just paint,will address makin her look pretty at a later time.i just wanna get out on the water.
next up ill start the the rigging back on her.all my photos i took of the rigging in detail before i pulled her apart are gone,my hard drive crash on my laptop.....and the photos went with it.ill do what i can,when i run into doubts ill google and ask here.

Image20200615_123504 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200615_173313 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby tomodda » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am

Sorry about the toasted sander, a shame. If it's any consolation, I've just sent my trusty old B&D drill to the Great Toolbox in the Sky after dropping it and busting the armature. Sigh.... Rigging the DS is pretty simple, if you've ever sailed before. Look here:

https://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/ds1man-oday.pdf

and here:

https://forum.daysailer.org/tech_rigguide.php

For guidelines (and you don't have to do everything that Phil Root says, but he'll help you sort out your traveler/bridle).

Good luck and fair winds!

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Just remember, on a DS there's rarely a "standard" rigging, because class rules allow a wide latitude, so even, or especially?, race-rigged DS's are far from uniform.

The gallery here doesn't have the most brilliant user interface, but has a lot of useful pictures of actual setups, and we all love answering questions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Thanx for that info GL.
I managed to get out today and went fishing.....well tried too....lol.
Put 18 miles on the ds1 and this china motor today.i have to say im impressed at its performance.
6mph wot atleast 17 miles today was wot,no issues or worries.my repairs held up,no cracks,no leaks beside a few drops from the centerboard gasket.
I wound up coating my original gasket in vasoline and reinstalled.may have had a table spoon total of water from the gasket.
Using just the motor,the hull doesnt track well if i let off the throttle,she sways eithet left or right quickly doing a 180.i tried with the cb down that helped tracking alot.
Im assuming if i install the rudder and remote throttle i wount have any tracking issues steering with the rudder instead of the motor.

https://youtu.be/7MZemzLnL-Q
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:45 am

Way I do it: motor fixed, steering with the rudder. CB may or may not be down (I may forget to raise it). But I'm only doing a small electric motor.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 am

GreenLake wrote:Way I do it: motor fixed, steering with the rudder. CB may or may not be down (I may forget to raise it). But I'm only doing a small electric motor.

I may buy what i need to put a remote throttle on the tiller,my motors tension knob on steering works,but throttle has no tension and spring return if released.
I can live with it the way it is,you just have to pay attention to the motors steering,every wave pushes you off corse,and the motor cavitates due to the hull floating so high ontop the waves.if this was a long foot (21" motor) that would get rid of my cavitation issues.if your cross wind and cavitate she usually spins 90 degrees instantly throwing you off corse.
I figure with the rudder,or cb down it may not want to do that.
As you can see in the vid,i have plenty open area to sail in when the time comes.5-10 breeze is average daily there.
Today was really the max id go play in.from what ive read the ds1 is in its comfort zone in 12 mph wind.
Being im new and no experience,ill try to only fly 1 sail for awhile till i lean the boats traits.
I dont like that i have no reefing points,its either full sail or nothing.....so just a jib or main on windy days for me.....for now.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am

Tempting idea, but the DS sails crappy with just one sail up.

Make sure to bring crew and sail with both sails up -- but don't cleat the sheet - that way you are ready to play it to depower in a gust.

It's not just the strength of the wind, but also how gusty/shifty it is that determines how comfortable your sailing will be. A rock steady wind (which you may get with a sea breeze) gives you time to adjust the sails and course (and your seating position) slowly for a perfect balance. With a gusty wind, you end up luffing into the gusts, or letting the main out or both to not get overpowered. With a shifty wind, you constantly need to change trim or course.

I would aim for a day with 6-8 kn for learning, if you can.

Any sailmaker can put a reef point in for your for about 100-150. Or, you can purchase a kit from SailRite and do it yourself. In either case, you need a reef hook at your goose neck (DR Marine) and a reefline that pulls down the aft end of the sail towards the boom, but also aft to tension the new foot of the sail.

I started out not having a reef point in my sails at first and generally managed by picking good sailing days. I upgraded when I replaced the sails.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 am

honestly i dont really have a crew,or anyone locally that sails.i may ave a lead on a guy that can steer me in the right direction when the time comes.the seller i bought the boat from is no help,hes experienced at sailing but doesnt return calls or text.on a positive note ive chatted with the original owner thru facebook,maybe i can arrange a meet with him.

onto some rigging questions.
i plan on installing a mast light,its my undestanding that the mast is foam filled.....so assuming ill have to run my wire on the side the mast,and attatch my light to the very top of the cast aluminium sheve block via a fabricated stainless bracket.will install a waterproof automotive style plug to connect the light once the mast is up,unplug when the mast comes down.

and what are these little clips for on the top of the mast,1 side the clip has been removed,the clip thats left the lower tab is cracked from being bent 1 too many times.nothing was attatched to this clip when i recieved the boat.

Image20200622_231832 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200622_233631 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby tomodda » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Hey Nick!

Glad to see you've gotten so far along! Some thoughts and (for what they're worth) recommendations:

- No idea on those clips, never seen anything like that before. If the use isn't obvious, get rid of it. Since they are screwed in, I'd just take them off and store them away somewhere. The less "junk" at the tip of the mast, the better.

-Speaking of which, what do you need a masthead light for? You gonna do a lot of night sailing? You're not obligated to have a masthead light for a 17' boat, and unless you have a lot of commercial traffic where you are, I wouldn't bother. You can always shine a light at your sail if you need someone to see you. I'd put running lights (which I believe are obligatory) before I'd bother with a masthead light. You (and GL) may completely disagree with me, of course, in which case you should try poking a wire down the screw-holes from those clips and seeing if you run into anything. If you DO have foam in the mast, you'd be very lucky, leave it alone and run a wire down the outside. Other wise, do you have a rivet kit to pop and redo the masthead rivets and the (I presume) the rivets at the foot? Even if it's empty, fishing a mast is a real pain.. good luck!

-12 knot steady sea-breezes, I'd LOVE that! Over here, I get fluky lake winds, changes direction and strength every two minutes. But, I take it that you've NEVER sailed before? At all? If so, start slow, take advantage of that nice motor you have. Sail DOWNWIND. It's a lot gentler. As you feel more at ease, start sailing more and more up towards the wind - broad reach, then reach, the close hauled (look it up). Get a feel for the boat, how it behaves as you change your angle to the wind. If you get into any problems, drop the sail and motor back home, no big deal. Yes, you can sail with just the mainsail, but the boat wont tack very easily. (you''ll have to google all these terms). No problem, just jibe when you want to turn thru the wind - head all the way downwind and then back upwind on the other side. Two important notes about this advice - 1) The wind can be deceptive when you are going downwind.. since you are moving "with" the wind, you may underestimate it's strength. Keep an eye on the water around you, whitecaps mean danger - you'll get occasional ones at 12 knots, that's ok, but lots of whitecaps or streaks of foam along the water means too much wind for your skill-level. But you're already a waterman, you probably know this already. 2) Jibing can be dangerous in higher winds. What you don't want is the boom suddenly swinging from one side to the other and then stopping with a shock. You may it someone and even worse strain your mast and stays. You need to control the jibe.. go slowly and hold the sheets (between the swivel cam and the boom) as it goes over. Again, look it up. This is NOT a problem for lighter winds, but above 15 knots or so... Anyway, I do agree with GL, choose a lighter wind day for your first sailing sessions, "OJT" is easier with light winds.

-Crew - sailing the DS is much easier with a crew, especially starting out. You don't need an experienced sailor (although it would be nice), you need their WEIGHT. As long as they'll follow directions (sit over here, move over there) and don't ask too many questions, then they'll be fine and very useful. Keep them on the upwind side of the boat, near or on the thwart, and put them in charge of the beer cooler. Advanced move, put them in charge of the jib sheet, have them pull on it or let it out to keep a nice shape to the jib (curved, not flapping around). That's all you need. Anyway, crew = movable ballast. Anything else they can do is a bonus, be thankful. And keep 'em well supplied with beer, sandwiches, and snacks.

Fair winds,

Tom
tomodda

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanx for all the info and advice tom.
Ive been watching vids from josh post,he explains a good bit about terms and the rigging.ive never sailed,this is the first sailboat experience for me.

And the mast light.....i originally started out in search of a small coastal cruiser for camping,not full time living...but the occasional weekend on the water solo type boat.
Thats when i came across my ds1 up for grabs.
My intentions werent focused on sailing.......buying this boat was a bonus,because i always wanted to try sailing.
All that being said,id like to have a mast light only when on anchor while sleeping in the middle of the lake.althou this lake rarely sees boat traffic at night.only exception is during both may and august inland shrimp seasons.boats upto 50ft run all night making that money.id hate to be ran into,and their excuse is.....didnt see him.
I already have full nav lights purchased,just gotta finish up the wiring and install the battery and solar panel.
Things may change thou,i recently picked up a solid robalo 23x8.5 hull only,plans are to make that my camp cruiser.leaving the ds1 as sail/pleasure.
But will be awhile before i have funds for a full camp build,and rig up another boat.
I like the idea of tent camping from the ds1.
Ill be doing a name change from kaynundrum to "far sail"
Short back story.
Growing up my dad had a old 18ft hull,it was a motor sailer.he was a comercial crab fisherman.....she he converted her into a crab boat,boats name was far sail.growing up in a 1 bayou town .....you wouldnt believe the people that stopped and asked how much for the boat.confusing far sail as for sale.
Dad still has that boat ,its totaled....but still there.
I havent check the mast for foam,but i know the mast step is foam filled.

As for learning terms and rigging ive followed josh post on youtube.he may not be an expert,or a pro....but i like this particular vid.he recently had a failed sail that coulda ended in disaster.....hes got a vid on that too.
He documented his troubles mistakes and learned from it.
By all means if you guys have other vids to aid with training or ds1 specific.....please share.

https://youtu.be/WjBYRUZbU4Y
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Nick. The little clips are for a "windex" or a wind indicating arrow - made by "Davis". Extremely useful to have.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:38 pm

GreenLake wrote:Nick. The little clips are for a "windex" or a wind indicating arrow - made by "Davis". Extremely useful to have.

Thanx a bunch.....ill look it up.been thinking about a wind vane
I was looking at this one last week
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis-in ... ecordNum=1
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 pm

I was able to buy one that had the clip to hold it. Not sure they make it any more, but it is really convenient for quick connect / disconnect. Otherwise the same as in your link.

I think when I replaced mine, I could only get one like you are showing, but I cut off the stem at the very bottom and filed the last 1/4" flat to fit the slot on the bracket, like the one you have.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only