DS 1 Help

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 Help

Postby JoFa » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:59 am

I have project fixing up an Oday Daysailer Class 1464. It is my fathers and we used to sail her a bunch in the 80’s and 90’s but she has been on a trailer for about 15 years. When my father no longer sailed a friend of his asked for all the rigging and he gave it away. So now the boat is basically all the fiberglass and wood but no metal. We do have the mast and boom. What I am looking for to start this project is a diagram of parts I need. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of all the rigging on the boat? Any help or guidance would be appreciated, I would really like to get her back on the water.
JoFa

Re: DS 1 Help

Postby tomodda » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Easy answer: Call Rudy at D&R Marine - http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=64

But you can not go wrong if you Read The Fine Manual: https://daysailer.org/Resources/Documen ... n-oday.pdf and then the class bylaws (re: measurements): https://daysailer.org/resources/Documents/dsbylaw3.pdf

Glad that you still have the mast and boom, that is the most expensive part! Otherwise, you'll need a new set of stays from Rudy and that's it for having a class-legal boat (legal to race). Obviously, you'll need a lot more parts than that - all the running rigging. But running rigging is not governed by the class rules, so you can pretty much put in whatever you want. Read the manual, do some digging around this site (Rigging section) and do some thinking, planning, and drawing. Then there are several vendors (mentioned in these forums) who can sell you what you'll need. But start with Rudy, always.

Some initial food for thought: https://daysailer.org/Rigging-Guide

I'm assuming you have your sails? What shape are they in? And how's the rudder and centerboard?

Fair winds!

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Welcome. yours is only 60 sailnumbers away from mine! With any luck, they may have been set up the same.

Metal parts on my boat:

1 bronze CB handle
1 stemhead fitting
1 "lip cleat?" (bronze bit to lead and anchor line around the forestay, starboard bow)
6 bronze horn cleats
1 in the moddle of the foredeck
2 aft of the mast
1 on the CB (this one has uneven horns to allow jamming the sheet)
2 on either stern quarter
1 pair of gudgeons on the transom
1 pair of pintles on the rudder
2 chain plates
1 forestay, 2 other stays (1/8" w/ adjuster)
2 jib tracks - replace w/ Harken 453 18" if missing
2 jib cars
2 jib blocks - replace with Ronstan 55mm ratchet
2 cam cleats for the jib sheet mounted on CB trunk
1 swivel block/cleat for main sheet (aft top of CB trunk)
1 single block for main (center boom) - replace w/ Ronstan ratchet block
1 single block w/ becket (aft end of boom)
1 traveler block
2 standup blocks for traveler (one each side of transom)
1 block for jib halyard - fixed to mast
3 aluminum horn cleats (one on boom, two on the mast)
1 bow eye to attach painter (bronze of chromed brass)
Not listed, various screws/bolts

You can look at my personal gallery to see closeups of many of these.

Tom is correct: D&R Marine are your best source for DS-specific parts, in particular the stays, but most running rigging, things like blocks and cam cleats and rope for various lines I would source at whatever place is convenient for you, or order them by mail from https://www.fisheriessupply.com/
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JoFa » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Thank you both for your help. I think I have a good starting point and but I may reach out for more help. Thanks again.
JoFa

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:50 am

JoFa wrote:Thank you both for your help. I think I have a good starting point and but I may reach out for more help. Thanks again.

Nothing wrong with reaching out for help. Glad to see the forum put to good use.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:38 pm

JoFa:

Take a look at this ebay offer. I wouldn't trust the stays, but the rest of the kit looks like a good starting point:

https://www.ebay.com/i/193189680744?chn ... 7gQAvD_BwE
tomodda

Postby lemsteraak » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 pm

You are fine without the rigging. The stainless steel wires (standing rigging) were undersized originally. The rigging you buy from D&R are a size thicker so they will not stretch as much. The other thing to keep in mind is that even though stainless doesn't rust it does go bad and can break without warning. It is common practice to replace stainless standing rigging every ten to fifteen years.
lemsteraak

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 pm

We can almost begin to measure the lifetime of a DS in centuries (even if we don't get round numbers, now that the older DS are half a century old, we get impressive fractions!).

Every couple of decades the standing rigging should be changed, and running rigging and sails are on an even shorter replacement cycle. Blocks and cleats also don't live forever.

Therefore, being forced to re-equip your DS with much of this just 'resets' the countdown on all of these and once you've sailed it for the next 10-15 years, all of this expense will have averaged out.

Boats like ours aren't captured well with the depreciation mentality: functionally you can restore them to full function at any time; and the expense will likely exceed the "value" measured by resale. However, if you compare what you get out of it, restoring an older boat is cheap - after sufficiently long time owning it and keeping it up, your average maintenance costs are going to be the same as for a newer (or partially restored boat).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only