Where's my Tension??

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Where's my Tension??

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:05 pm

I've a question here about mast tension. I have a raked Balinger mast (said to be rigged by the man 'imself). The previous owner showed me how to tension the mast using a halyard and trailer winch, this to pull the mast forward enough to attach the forestay.
Mysteriously, this tension has disappeared. I can now attach the forestay without the winch, shrouds all floppy. I've tensioned the shrouds one hole down, and moved the base of the mast aft. Still, tension just aint the same.
Question: what happened! Forestays don't stretch, and masts don't shrink.
Help?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:53 am

Feet (foots?) of masts do move, though.
Check very thoroughly for (you hope) the foot having slid forward a little. If not, the uglier possibility is that your mast is footed on soft material.
Hope you find your tension without having to dig down to the keel.
Fair winds, following seas and a solid footing for your mast. Felix

Felix Graham-Jones (felix.graham-jones-at-snet.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:19 am

Another thought - there are reports of the front decking separating from the hull in some of these threads - check 'em out - horror stories of daysailors looking like pelicans with their mouths open. You might do well to check the adhesion of your decking to the hull.
Again, fair winds...etc Felix

Felix Graham-Jones (felix.graham-jones-at-snet.net)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:40 am

Update:
Discovered that the shroud pins on both turnbuckles had been moved up 2.5 holes by novice crewmates. Learning to inspect the rig a little more carefully.
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer I Only