CB fastening and wedge

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB fastening and wedge

Postby drwunnenberg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:30 am

I am new to owning a DS and I've installed the new CB from Rudy but I'm trying to understand what makes it 'stay' in the upright position with all that weight hinging on the one square peg position. Is it that I just don't have the triangular bronze mount tight enough? I've seen others talk about having some type of wedged material around the CB in it's slot to provide a tight fit. I am also not understanding how the metallic CB wedge works with the CB handle in the upright position. I've also seen others on here talk about having a 3:1 system to assist in raising the handle from the down position. Any help would be great, I've almost got her in the water.
drwunnenberg

Re: CB fastening and wedge

Postby Anstigmat » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:11 am

IMHO it's a big weakness of the design. It puts way too much strain on one pivot point that is prone to wearing out.

I support the weight of my CB with a line that goes up from the back of the board, through the CB trunk, and into a cleat. I drilled a small hole through the rear of the board and another through the CB trunk...actually the previous owner had done that part for me...anyway the line is secured through a clam cleat. Any time I pull up the board I simply use the line and cleat it off, which supports the weight of the board. I use the lever to lower it, but never to raise it. My board drooped a whole lot before making this fix.

I did also make a large "washer" out of PVC that I placed onto the pintle itself next to the CB which solved the side to side play from the board being much thinner than the trunk itself. This has worked very well. People cleverer than me did both sides with thinner material, but I simply used what I had on hand.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 pm

If the gasket is tight enough, the CB stays up or down where you want it. I had a tiny 9yo girl crew for me last night, and she was able to raise the CB w/o a 3:1 system.

The trick is to tighten the gasket just enough.

While transporting the boat, I support the CB from below.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm

These c/b systems leaves a lot of being desired and each have their own share of problems.
I replaced my c/b and handle due to my old c/b drooping 10 inches out of the trunk.
My handle is supported only on 1 side of c/b trunk which cocks the c/b in the trunk. Causes a lot of friction when you move the handle.
I finally installed a 5 to 1 system to raise the c/b with ease.
You tighten the handle too much it is hard to move, you loosen the handle too much it leaks.
I have finally got my c/b leakage to a drop per minute with it in the mid position. C/B all the way up or all the way down no leakage.
I put a sponge under the handle to catch the drops.

I can't figure out after so many boats being built by so many boat builders we seem to be discussing the same problems. My only guess would be it was a p!ss poor design.

John
jalmeida51

Postby drwunnenberg » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Anyone have any pictures? I'm interested how these 3:1 or 5:1 system are rigged up, are they connected to the cutty cabin or cabin mast?
And interested in your CB line that's cleated off on the CB trunk. I'm very visual. thanks for the input so far.
I have no friction in the CB trunk and so it's the full weight of the CB on the handle joint.
drwunnenberg

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:25 pm

I will try to get down to my boat in a few days to take some pictures of the 5 to 1 if it ever stops raining down here in Florida. The set up goes like this. I drilled a hole in the c/b handle and attached a Harken m29 double block with becket to it. Attached a Harken m29 triple block to the mast compression post. Used 1/4 sta set line and used a v cleat (jam Cleat ) screwed to the wooden seat to secure the line.

The only time I can feel some banging of the c/b is when I am sailing in choppy waters. The noise doesn't bother me. I used to have to use a piece of pvc pipe to get more leverage on the handle to raise the c/b. The 5 to 1 makes the it so easy raising the c/b.
I replaced the c/b with more ballast in it maybe that's reason of the hard pull with just the handle

John
jalmeida51

Return to Day Sailer I Only