DS I ?? Identity

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I ?? Identity

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:22 pm

I just purchased an O'Day Daysailer - at least that is what the name plate reads. I'm attempting to research the boat. There are no hull numbers, or other ID that I can find other that the name plate. How can I tell how old the boat is - or the model type.
--Ron

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:16 pm

If the name tag says "Day Sailer", the boat is most likely (though not definitely) a Day Sailer I. If there is not a Hull I.D. Number molded into the outside of the transom, the boat is older than 1973. A few more tips, if the cockpit is not molded as part of the deck, this is a DS I, if it is part of the deck, you most likely have a DS II. I'd check out the pictures on this web-site, and/or the DSA web-site http://forum.daysailer.org.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:29 pm

Some clarifying facts:
I found the manu plate on the front bulkhead - it reads "Hull No: 17426 - Class 3103"
The cuddy is a separate piece from the hull, it has wooden floorboards, a crank handle on the centerboard housing, wood trim around the seating area, it has small shelves/buckets mounted just inside the cuddy on both sides, the mast is stepped on the hull floor, the seats look like they have a 'pressed pattern' on them (no wood), and field mice have been sleeping in the fallen leaves in the dry area of the cuddy.
Hope this helps to ID the boat.
--Ron

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:40 pm

From your description you have a DS1....class number 3103 is a generally desirable vintage.

My boat is 2835.

Have fun and good winds.

Contact me if you have questions. You might want to investigation joining the DSA Class Association

Don Trop
Contagious 2835

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:57 pm

I, too, just purchased a O'Day Day Sailer I. The numbers on a plate under the cuddy are Hull# 11866 Class# 2077. The previous owner had a "title" for this boat stating that it is a 1975 but I believe it may be older. Any thoughts?

Bonny & Doug Smith (bsds-at-attbi.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:09 pm

Rod is the true 'archivist' who will have the best information based on the data you provide, but in the meantime, try fitting your numbers into the following chart...

http://boonedocks.net/daysailer/buildchart.html
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:56 pm

I used to have a Widgeon (12' O'Day sloop), and the O'Day Hull # was 22698. O'Day used the Hull# to indicate how many total boats they had built, and Class# to indicate how many of that Class they had built. My Widgeon was built in 1969 (maybe late 1968?) so, your Day Sailer I had to have been built before then, I'd say around 1965. Maybe the title was issued in 1975?

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only