Daysailer1 part

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer1 part

Postby mcqmga » Thu May 19, 2022 2:48 pm

I have o'day daysailer1 . I need to replace boom. Any ideas on locating used or damaged boom?
mcqmga

Re: Daysailer1 part

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 19, 2022 6:00 pm

You could post in the "want to buy" section of this forum.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mcqmga » Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 am

Lol! Will do, thanks!
mcqmga

Postby Mcqmga11 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:01 am

Ok, l found a boom for my DS1. The length is correct but does not have any hardware other than gooseneck. The aft end has the "tang" with a hole. What blocks do I need and how is the aft boom rigged. I read the original blocks are 57mm but they are huge . I believe I have a mainsheet with an eye strap on one end. How does that work? Any pics of original setup. I have searched forum for direction but can't seem to find the original set up.
Mcqmga11

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:35 pm

Congrats on getting a boom!

Don't fret trying to duplicate the "factory" setup. All DS owners have modified their rigging over time.

Here's a side view of the boom for a typical end-boom mainsheet.

Mainsheet-cropped.GIF
End-boom main sheet, side view
Mainsheet-cropped.GIF (13.68 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

One thing that has changed is that the types of rope available for sheets has changed. Look into the discussion on "Rope for various lines".

While rope has gotten stronger, there's a limit how thin you can go, because of handling. For a main sheet something like 3/8" is not too small. You should be able to use blocks in the 40mm range with that kind of line and get acceptable results.

However, for the forward one of the two shown in the diagram, I installed a ratchet block. I chose a Ronstan Orbit block based on having tried one out on a display at my favorite boating store. I've been very happy with the way it works and leave it in the "auto" position, where the ratchet function automatically engages under load.

They come in ~45mm and 55mm, and for various reasons, including availability in the store, I picked the 55mm (but I'm not sure the difference matters). Despite only a 90 degree "wrap" the holding power of these blocks is nothing short of amazing. (They used to have by far the best 'grip' on the rope, but other competitors may be catching up).

For the block in the back, you need one with a "becket". There are two ways to rig the triangle at the back; either you go with just the main sheet, and lead the end so it goes through the two transom blocks and comes back to the becket. Or you make a separate traveler (a loop of rope that gets pulled into a triangle shape). That one gets a single block tied into it and you run your sheet as a 2:1 purchase between that block end the end of the boom. Again, the sheet would end at the becket.

That's the setup I have, and it works fine with 40mm blocks. I think one of them may be even smaller by a bit, (hard to tell, the photo is a composite).

End-of-boom_1024.jpg
Rigging at the end of boom
End-of-boom_1024.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

The two ends of the traveler are tied together in a knot that has a loop sticking out of it, which I hook over a hook on the transom, so that I can "fix" the location of where the traveler block sits when going up wind. (All "stolen" from a rigging guide that's posted for members of the DSA on the member site https://daysailer.org).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only