DS1 top of cuddy cut away?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 top of cuddy cut away?

Postby sailJ » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:36 pm

Have owned a Rhodes 19 (keel) in the past now looking for something more trailer-sailable - preferably a DS1 in moderate to good condition... Found this one but shows the top of the cuddy cut off (presumably for easier mast stepping?). Would this be reason to steer clear of this one? Or possible benefit? Not sure if the cut away area reduces structural stiffness or would take on more water splashing in chop...
Cheers!
Attachments
ds1 for sale 2.jpg
ds1 for sale 2.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 32621 times
ds1 for sale.jpg
ds1 for sale.jpg (211.72 KiB) Viewed 32621 times
sailJ

Re: DS1 top of cuddy cut away?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:12 pm

If the goal is to just go sailing, it's not essential that the boat be in its original condition. It revolves down to whether it works for you.

Spray: a simple, removable fabric panel would deal with keeping spray or rain out of the cuddy area. Not complicated to retrofit, should you find it necessary.

Stability: you don't show the underside of the deck. It should be (or have been) reinforced to make up for the structural member that's incorporated in the cuddy opening in factory original boats. Glassing in a few hardwood or even plywood strips to form an arch would be a good solution; it's not that difficult. More than one weekend, since you'll spend time planning/measuring/procuring, but still manageable, I should think. Properly reinforced it might be fine (although not legal for competitive sailing).

Should you get this and find that even with an added arch it flexes a bit more that you like, you can always add a removable cross-bar (or reinforce the hull). A bar would be cheap and easy, though not elegant. (However, with the cuddy area open from the top, it won't constrain your access as much as with a traditional cuddy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:56 pm

I had missed the massive wooden cross plate in your photo. That's effectively a partial bulkhead and should add required stiffness.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby sailJ » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:31 am

Ok thank you for the replies GreenLake, I will keep this boat in consideration.
Cheers,
sailJ

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:59 pm

Cutting the top of the cuddy away has rendered this boat no longer in conformance with Class Rules. I would be concerned as well with the structural stability now. I would steer away from this boat, there are plenty of good Day Sailers out there. If you have questions, feel free to contact me. Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Bob makes excellent points, as usual.

Whether a boat adheres to the class rules is an important consideration, but the how that affects you may depend on whether you are interested in sailboat racing, or whether there even are any sailboat races under class rules in your area. If racing is not your thing, nobody cares how your boat is configured. However, in an area were class sanctioned events are available, or in driving distance, a boat that can't be brought back under class rules will have fewer potential buyers that may be interested when the time comes to resell it. You may also change your mind about racing, and in that case would need to upgrade.

Whether all of this sounds scary or is something you're OK with, is for you to know.

The question of stability (stiffness) is interesting. And I think ultimately not decidable from afar. Having looked at your pictures, I see some things, that if they work out as intended, could result in preserving much of the stiffness of the original design. Much would depend on how all this stuff is anchored to the hull. But Bob is correct, it represents a risk and you need to be prepared to live with the potential of further remedial work, or even cutting your losses and moving on.

Whether all of this sounds scary or is something you're OK with, is for you to know.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby cygtoad » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:39 am

I can tell this must be an early boat like mine because it has the faux planking in the fiberglass of the deck and lacks a motor well. I have a failure in the cuddy cabin which I have to deal with in the form of large cracks. I saw another early boat with the same issue on a you tube video where the owner created laminated bracing to support his cuddy which also developed large cracks. I have to wonder if this was an issue with the early boats and if this cutaway is just this particular owner's way of dealing with the issue. As much as I would probably not have gone this route, it looks tastefully done. However racing is probably out.
cygtoad

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:54 pm

The way to support a deck from below would be to laminate a hollow support. Their shape gives them surprising stiffness, and it is not necessary to fill them with anything structural. The strength is in the skin.

Some people use strip of a suitable waterproof foam to make 1x1 shape and then laminate over that. Others have even used paper towel cores, sliced in half. The laminate needs to be nicely stair stepped and the edges need to be rounded or filleted to avoid sharp corners and hard points.

Since the work is overhead unless the boat is turned upside down, it might make sense to prepare the laminate on a strip of plastic, peel ply, or even wax paper and then apply it in one step.

(If turning the boat over, make sure that the cuddy is not deformed).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby cygtoad » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:58 pm

Thanks for the tips GreenLake. This project is definitely in my future.
cygtoad

Return to Day Sailer I Only