Gooseneck and roller reefing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Gooseneck and roller reefing

Postby cygtoad » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:28 am

Greetings,

I was having a look at my boom (on a very early boat) and it lacks the gooseneck which can be pulled out and spun for roller reefing. The current gooseneck is getting a bit tired so it may be time for a new one. So I am wondering how the rolling reefing works. The boat has a center boom main sheeting system. That set-up can't work once the sail is rolled up onto the boom. Perhaps the DS1's don't have roller reefing and that is something only the later boats had?

Let me know your thoughts.
cygtoad

Re: Gooseneck and roller reefing

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:40 am

The aim for reefing is to have something that reduces your sail area, but leaves the sail reasonably flat, so it doesn't power up from being baggy.

This can be achieved reasonably well with slab reefing (or jiffy reefing). But rolling your sail around the boom doesn't work nearly as well.

Also, to make it work, you have to have a reef claw. Not a part that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

You might want to have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6516
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby cygtoad » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:48 am

Thanks, Greenlake.

I agree more traditional slab reefing makes more sense to me a well.
cygtoad

Re: Goosneck and roller reefing

Postby tomodda » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:50 am

Quick thoughts :

Roller reefing is terrible, avoid at all costs.

Set up slab aka "Jiffy" reefing

Just to answer your question, mid-boom sheeting on a roller-reefed sail works using a "claw" around the sail. You attach your mainsheet block to the claw. Just one of the many reasons why roller reefing is terrible.

Also to answer your question, yes DS1's came "stock" with roller-reefing. But humanity did a lot of stupid things in the late 50's - open air nuclear bomb testing, cigarette smoking in hospitals, asbestos as a building material, and of course, roller reefing...

OK, I'm off my soapbox!
tomodda

Postby Alan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:30 pm

Snert. Brightened my morning right up. :lol:
Alan

Re: Goosneck and roller reefing

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:02 pm

tomodda wrote:... humanity did a lot of stupid things in the late 50's - open air nuclear bomb testing, cigarette smoking in hospitals, asbestos as a building material, and of course, roller reefing...

Oh my!

:shock: :shock: :roll:

:lol:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only