Keel slap

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Keel slap

Postby rkseals » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:30 pm

I replaced the keel recently but in sailing recently light winds but roller from
Outboard wakes the keel appeared to be “slapping”. Movement of the keel box could be observed. Is this normal? If not, what action is needed?
rkseals

Re: Keel slap

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:56 am

Welcome to the forum. When you write that you "replaced" the centerboard was it with a factory original? Or home built or aftermarket? In other words does the new board match the dimensions of the old one perfectly or are ther some (small) differences? Some owners found it useful to shim the CB trunk opening if the board proved too thin.

You write that you can feel movement of the CB trunk. Normally on a DS1 the top of the trunk is held in place by the wooden thwarts. However, the walls can flex a bit. Is that what you saw?

On a DS1 the CB is held by a CB pin connected to the CB handle. The opposite end of the pin usually rests in a small depression in the CB trunk wall on that side but isn't secured otherwise.

Some owners have drilled and tapped the pin and added a bolt and gasket to secure it in place. That's how my boat was configured. Works well and any machine shop can do the metal work.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only