Hinged Mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hinged Mast

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 26, 1998 12:00 am

Hello: This hinged Mast sounds interesting.My hair is turning gray and my back has a slight curve.Is there a conversion kit for old farts? Help to the foremast!

Mel (melnet-at-orcote.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 17, 1999 1:00 am

Did you get any help on the hinged mast? If so please pass it on.

Bob Williams (swpny-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 21, 1999 1:00 am

<A HREF='http://www.dwyermast.com'>http://www.dwyermast.com</A>

They have hinged mast steps. Just me sure to know what mast section you have be you go to this site. Mast step cost between $14.00 and $42.00 depending on what mast section you have.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 1999 12:00 am

I took my mast to Cape Cod Shipbuilding in Wareham, MA. For under $100.00, Dick cut the mast and attached the hinge plates. I know that they do sell the kit with full instructions. They will also talk you through it if you need to call. I don't know if it takes away from the purist character of the DS 1, but it sure makes life a whole lot easier when stepping the mast. Also, to give your mast some cushioning through the cuddy: go to your local muffler shop and get a rubber donut, used on many European exhaust systems. You can slip it from the bottom up and protect the fiberglass opening in the top of the cuddy.

Fred Menschel (FRED-at-ROADWORKSAUTO.COM)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 1999 12:00 am

The part you're looking for is called a Step-hinge. I got one for my DSII from Dwyer mast. I figured out what size I needed by taking a rubber stamp ink pad and pressing it against the bottom of my mast, then I pressed the inked mast against a 3 x 5 card. Then I measured and compared to dwyer's catalog. I called them and ...voila!!! had a new step-hinge within 2 weeks! Good luck. see the link from the previous message for Dwyer..(Nice people)

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 1999 12:00 am

I used to own a 1983 Spindrift DSI which had a mast that mounted with two cotter pins. First I laid the mast down, with top sticking over the stern, and lined up holes at the bottom of the mast with the mast base, and inserted one cotter pin through the aft holes. Then I stepped the mast by walking forward from the stern. When the mast was fully upright, I inserted the second cotter pin through the forward holes.

Is this how the ODay masts work, or did Spindrift do something unusual here?

Ken C (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 1999 12:00 am

Since my post yesterday I realized that my mast set-up for the 1983 Spindrift was probably what is being referred to in here as a "tabernacle" mast. The bottom of the mast attached to a tabernacle on the top of the cuddy, by two cotter pins. Am I correct that an ODay DSI has the mast go into a hole at the top of the cuddy, and into a base located on the floor of the cuddy? I am interested in understanding this because I am thinking of purchasing another DS, and I want to be sure what I am getting into with each DS type.

Ken C (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only