DS1 centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS1 centerboard

Postby bnnauti » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:49 am

Greetings to all! I'm an old pilot with a 17' Spindrift DS1 I just purchased and determined to become an "old salt" with the help of my young grandsons. I covet all the forum discussions as I've learned a lot already...and with the help of "Sailing for Dummies".

I've realized a lot of the older discussions posted images I cannot access anymore, especially those from bobhunkins.com. Are there any archived images that may be accessed from outside this Day Sailor forum?

Thanks for any help>
bnnauti

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:34 pm

If you make a list of the most interesting threads I can convert images with "[thumb]" tags to the new style "[album]" tags. I don't have the time or energy to do that across the forum, but I'll be happy to help you read specific threads. Anything with an "[img]" tag, however, most likely points outside this website and has been lost to "link rot", but point me to an example just in case.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bnnauti » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 am

Thank for the help with any images that detail the centerboard ratchet assembly as the pawl was removed from mine and I have it in a bag from the seller. Also, I have removed the centerboard and the square mounting hole is slightly rounded. I will try and repair this and the bottom edge that has been roughed up a bit and appears to be separating slightly. Would appreciate anyone's insight and quidance with this repair.

In the frozen U.P. of Mich.
bnnauti

Postby curifin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 pm

I am total noob on repair but if you need pictures of one for reference, let me know, I literally just dropped mine out tonight.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby tc53 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I am re-installing my older (1962?) DS 1 centerboard, and I have a question about the handle plate and pawl assembly: Is there supposed to be any sort of spacer in the lower front bolt of the plate, the bolt that also passes through the pawl, between the pawl and the part glassed into the CB trunk into which the bolt threads? I've tightened up all three bolts to a point at which the gasket compressed a bit (but that still allows the handle to function properly) but there seems to be a fair amount of play in the pawl. Is there a way to make this less sloppy and still have the pawl function as needed?
tc53

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:07 am

I seem to recall that the pawl is a bit loose. As it's activated by gravity, you don't want it to bind. If there's no issue with it engaging I would leave it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby further876 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm

The link on the first page of this thread seems to have expired. Does anyone know how to access the photos? I have copied and pasted the link here.

http://www.bobhunkins.com/surprise/archive/000487.html
further876

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only