DS1 centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:39 pm

Dave,
You may want to coat the threads of the 3 bolts (the ones that clamp the centerboard handle between triangle plate and centerboard trunk) with an automotive silicone gasket sealer to stop any leakage past the threads. And/or go to the hardware store and get some soft rubber washers and put them around these bolts between the centerboard trunk and triangular plate. Get enough so that when the bolts are tightened down the washers are compressed enough to form a seal.

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:02 pm

Bob,

I just looked at your description of how the DS1 centerboard system works. Well done! You mentioned the three bolts are stainless. Are the "nuts" they screw into in the trunk also stainless? If so, some anti-sieze on the threads is very important, as stainless threads on stainless threads are prone to galling and siezing. Maybe the silicone sealer I mentioned in my previous post will work, but not sure. I used the silicone on my bolts...but I had replaced the stainless bolts with common hardware store steel bolts a couple years ago (which have worked out fine).

Steve Parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:32 pm

Forgive me for joining in late in this conversation - and for possibly asking a question that has already been answered...
Great illustration and explanation of the centerboard handle/pawl mechanism, by the way.
My question is this: Does the square shaft on which the centerboard hangs have a mating receptical on the PORT side of the centerboard trunk, or does the entire contraption simply hang from the starboard side of the trunk (said another way, is the shaft supported on both ends, or just the starboard end?)?
Thanks,
Tim

Tim Dowell (pastor_tim-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:39 am

The threads that are glassed into the centerboard trunk on my boat appear to be Naval brass - the same material the handle is made of. I have never had trouble with the bolts seizing on my boat.

On the port side of the centerboard trunk there is nothing I've seen to hold up the square shaft of the handle and the centerboard. In effect, the centerboard is cantilevered on the handle inside the trunk. The centerboard is prevented from coming off the handle by the centerboard trunk.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:14 pm

Thank you Bob Hunkins, great pictures and explanation,
I am a picture person and it showed me that my centerboard handle parts were not put back together properly by a former owner. Big Help.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm

I promise to be my last question on this subject, though I really appreciate a group where we can discuss every little thing on our Day Sailers. On the centerboard handle bolts, how tight should they be tightened? There seems to be some natural space between the bolts, the triangular plate and the handle itself.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:56 pm

Took the centerboard handle triangular plate, bolts, and pawl off this weekend. Re-assembled it according the the pics that Bob Hunkins provided. Good news, there is no more leak, not a drop after a 4 hour voyage. Bad news, pawl will still not catch the cam on the centerboard handle. What I am wondering is this. It has been told that the square hole on the handle fits into a square ended bolt that pivots the centerboard. Is it possible that the handle was not correctly inserted onto the shaft. I mean, if it were not correctly orientated, perhaps the cam won't line up right to the pawl. the pawl has been installed as per the pictures perfectly, and moves as it should once all 3 bolts have been tightened.

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:01 pm

The peg on the handle is square and so is the hole on the centerboard. It's unlikely that the handle was installed incorrectly because it would have to be 90 degrees offset. If the handle is vertical when the board is up, it's correct. You may have to examine the hole and peg and see if the hole is rounded. I'm not sure what to make of your situation, because it seems impossible that the pawl would not catch. Any way you can take a picture and post it?
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:05 pm

Bob, Thanks for the reply. Based on your photos, I am certain I put the parts back together right. This weekend, I will take some dig pics to show you. Is it possible that the cam lobe on the handle is too worn to catch the pawl? To look at the pawl, it looks perfect.

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:54 pm

I have been watching this thread for a few days and as a fellow fix er upper, I follow your dilema with interest. Unfortunately, I own a DSII so am not much help regarding experience. Having said that, is the hole that the cam pivots on by chance enlarged through wear, which would allow the cam and pawl not to engage with each other?
Roger

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:11 am

Today I took my DS1 out of it's slip for the winter and paid some attention to how I engaged the pawl when locking the centerboard in the up position. To get the pawl to engage the notch/cam on the lever it was necessary to push the lever past vertical a bit, so that it angled a bit toward the front of the boat. Required a bit of "muscle" to do it. Once engaged, the lever went back to vertical.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:19 am

Steve, I will try your trick this weekend. Here in western SC, not sure when my season is over. Last weekend it was 80 F, so I was out of course on the lake. This weekend, suppose to be in the 50's.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:45 am

Dave,

A slight change in my above comments on engaging the pawl in the notch in the lever...I noticed today while cleaning the boat that the lever does not go back to vertical once the pawl is engaged and lever released from your hand. It remains pointing slightly forward...at least on my boat,

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:49 am

I must revise the price of the centerboard handle from D&R Marine, quote by Bob H. The actual price of the handle alone is not $95. for the handle alone, but $125.

Rudy sent me a handle that has a curious addition in the square insert--a stainless pin that extends beyond the bronze which conceiveably positions, through the centerboard, into a receptical on the port side of the CB trunk.

I have a '60 DS1, and the original pivot assembly doesn't seem to have this configuration.

My only speculation is that this stainless extension is meant to somehow provide lateral support in the pivot; that said, why did the original design omit this idea?

Is this an afterthought, and if so, has anyone modified their CB trunk to accept this stainless pin?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:37 pm

I would suggest calling Rudy. He very knowledgable and willing to help. He can probably tell you what to do with your extra pin.

CC

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only