chain plates

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

chain plates

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:06 pm

My 1959 Day Sailor #163 has the chain plates attached directly to the deck. The club where I will launch the boat uses a hoist which other owners attach to the each chain plate and then to an eye attached to the transom. I am concerned that this is to much load on the deck. I have noticed that most early boats have a chain plate that passes through the deck and attaches with two bolts directly to the hull. This seems much better to me. Any thoughts on this and where can I buy correct chainplates for my boat.

Peter (canyon173-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:57 pm

The chainplates on my (newer) DS II are bolted through the gunwale (hull/deck joint). They are plenty strong, although they scare me sometimes! Anyway, Cape Cod Shipbuilding makes a stronger chainplate set-up that will fit the Day Sailer I (maybe II and III?) D&R Marine would also have chainplates. I see your point about changing, but also am sure that the chainplates are under far higher strain while sailing then they would ever be if used as lifting points.

Cape Cod Shipbuilding (508) 295-3550
D&R Marine (508) 644-3001

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only