Tiller lengh

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller lengh

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:29 pm

The replacement tiller I purchased from D&R Marine is 48 inches in lengh and they assure me this is standard, but the tiller I am replacing on my 1963 DS 1 is about 6 inches longer. How long is your tiller, and does size really matter?

John McCabe (jmccabe10-at-bsu.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:40 am

Size always matters. But this is one exception. The 48 inch tiller provided by DR is the same that I have, and I find the length to be acceptable. The length of the tiller extension is probably more critical as the standard legth extensions always seem to be to short when hiking, in which case I would suggest a teloscopic extension. Happy sailing

Collin (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:00 pm

My DS 2 has a 48" tiller as well with a telescoping extension from 18 to 24". I can almost manage it from the very front of the cockpit with the extension, but since I usually need to occupy both hands when managing any work in the cuddy or on the mast, so usually lash the tiller amidships when going forward, if I do not have a crew.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only