Hoisting. Strongest connection points?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hoisting. Strongest connection points?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:02 pm

I have a triple digit boat that I must launch using a hoist. A connection is made at each chain plate and a third connection must be made at the stern. I have already caused damage by lifting the boat at pad eyes that I have installed in locations, at the transom, that do not have adequate strength. Any idea's where the strongest connection points would be?

Peter (canyon173-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:21 am

I think it would be best to look into some sort of sling to go under boat, both fore and aft, of rope or heavy duty webbing. (You may need spreaders, or ties to keep boat from slipping in the sling.)

John C. Jr (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:32 am

I have a 4 digit DS1, and I lift it with a hoist. We put Shackles in the chain plates. The Shackels do double duty of lifting the boat by the chain plates, and the pins also hold the shrouds in place. (I have seen daysailers with 2 holes in the chain plates one for a hoist and one for the shrouds, but I only have one.) For the back, a previous owner installed 2 lifting rings in the stern quarters. These are some kind of metal, held on by eyestraps. The eyestraps are screwed into the stern, and have blocks of wood backing them. My previous DSII had eyestraps mounted through the deck, and I was told that it is much better to lift with the hull as opposed to the deck. (It kind of makes sense when you think about it, the deck is attached to the hull by some means so it could become unattached.) The shackle pins are probably stronger than the clevis pins that used to hold the stays in the Chainplates, and the chainplates themselves are probably the strongest part of the boat. I made a bridle out of two pieces of low stretch 3/8th or 7/16th braided nylon. I think I got one 12' and the other 8', but I ended up cutting some off. With a bit of trial and error I was able to get it so it balances on the hoist. I've been using it for about 3 years now, and the only problem I ever had was when the brass snap hooks I was using on the bridle broke when the boat was about 3' above the water. I now have large carabeaners (sp?), and they show no signs of stress.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only