Help ... DS1 transom drain plug

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Help ... DS1 transom drain plug

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:31 am

I was about to add a drain plug to the 1969 DS1 I recently bought (for rain and after use drainage) when I checked this website and came across a ques/ans series of a while back covering that topic.
However, the conversations at that time seemed to indicate that there was no simple answer to this.
Am I missing something obvious? Is there a reason that a simple brass through hull drain tube with rubber plug cannot simply be drilled into the transom just above floor level? (That was my plan until I noticed the complexity of the corrispondence.)
Is there a double wall on the transom or something that is not visible that would give me an unpleasant surprise?
I'd really appreciate any comments and advice.
Thanks,
Bill
wganswers@comcast.net

Bill Goldman (wganswers-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:29 pm

Bill -

Just a personal preference, but I like a plug that "engages" the hole more...i.e. threaded. These can be found relatively inexpensively at Layline. The last thing I would want would be a plug to fall out while sailing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Don Trop
#2835 - Killer Tomato

Don Trop (don.trop-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:24 am

Bill,
I did exactly what you're asking about on my '68 DS1 using a fitting from West Marine, #283756.
I drilled a hole low in the transom just off the sole, then, using the fitting as a template, drilled pilot holes for the attaching screws. Then I filed a "countersink" in the transom side of the holes so they tapered to the center of the hole; the countersinks provide a well to accept sealant so it won't be displaced when you fasten the plug. I put a ring of Boat Life Life-Calk around the base of the plug, inserted it and snugged the #10 screws to hold it in place. The screws don't have to be very tight, just snug enough to prevent rotation. Works great.

Bill Herrick (wherrick-at-stny.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:46 pm

Hi Bill,

Just wanted to mention that if you intend to race your boat, the class rules have a guideline about the placement of the transom drain plug. I think it's 4" off center or something. It's been awhile since I did mine.

Best to you,
Jeff

Jeff Smith (jsmith4265-at-woh.rr.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:12 pm

A related question: my '60 DS has a closed transom; that is, the area below the aft deck is glassed in. There are two access ports, and I'd like to put a drain system in. What do any of you think about installing a tube from a forward hole at the floor to a drain hole in the transom? Has anyone heard of this being done on these older boats, and if so, what are the complications?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:10 am

Hi Peter,

I think I would consider cutting out a section of fiberglass in the center of that panel, maybe 16" wide/12" high or so, to allow water to flow back to the transom drain. Also, is there styrofoam in that cavity? Although it's probably a great place for flotation, 44-year-old styrofoam will likely weight a ton. I pulled 148lbs. of waterlogged white stuff out of my '67 DS1's seat tanks and front compartment.

Jeff

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am

There's only a healthy bulk of styro "peanuts" in there, and these all light, crispy, and dry.

Don't want to make the suggested opening because it would compromise flotation (believe the side tanks are open to this area, too). Also, being kind of a style nut, I don't want to mess with the clean appearance of the enclosed cockpit unique to this generation of DS1.

Any other ideas?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:48 am

Yep, I hear you. Sounds like the whole setup is worth preserving if the flotation is all good. Good luck with your project.

Jeff

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:29 pm

I have a 1959 boat that has no drain either and no access to the transom. Its hard to believe it has survived over 40 years without serious ice damage over many years. There would have to have been some neglect in maintaining covers along the way.
But to the point, I had a 10' Oday sprite that had a thru hull drain with a screw plug, just aft of the c'board. That seems to be the most obvious place to to locate a drain on the DS1, if you store it level on the trailer, thats where the water tends to accumulate. But haven't come up with a fitting I like so far, the hull is so thin at that location.
Many years ago had a 26' wood sailing surfboat. The drain for that was a smooth bore, brass thru hull, you banged in a wooden bung in the spring from the bottom, and had to drill it out in the fall, due to swelling of the bung....
(Is there any thing in the class rules about a drain hole in the hull behind the c'board???)`

John Hampe (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only