I need a new mast

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

I need a new mast

Postby DavidOakland » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:18 pm

My wife drove the boat under a tree and snapped the mast. I see that a new one is available for $1,300 + shipping but I wonder if someone has an old one they would like to sell?
DavidOakland

Re: I need a new mast

Postby Anstigmat » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm sorry about your troubles. I needed a new mast last year and also did not want to buy a brand new one for that money plus freight. My advice would be to look at your local craigslist and find 'project' Daysailer. There seem to be a ton of them here in Maine. They probably have all the spars you could wish for.

I eventually got one for $300 from a kind of weird guy who ran a boat salvage business. Proctor mast too!
Anstigmat

Postby tomodda » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:10 am

Unfortunately, breaking/replacing the mast is the "Achilles Heel" of our otherwise relatively cheap boats. The cost of shipping can easily be more than the cost of the new mast, or even of the boat itself! Reason being that it can only go by commercial freight and needs special packing and handling.

Anyway, Anstigmat is right, your best bet is someone else's project boat, in driving distance. Craigslist is your friend, use searchallcraigslist.org. There's a $300 project DS in New Hampshire right now, for instance. Launch your boat into the grass, drive up to their boat with your trailer. Park the trailer nearby, pick up their boat and trailer. Drive to nearest dump yard, pay the fee, "leave the gun, take the cannoli." Drive home with your new mast on your old trailer. Shame to junk a hull, but that's where most end up sooner or later. Strip any and all parts that may be of use, right down to the centerboard. If the trailer is salvageable, take that to (strap it on top of your good trailer). May take a few months to find your perfect "junker" boat, but they're out there!
tomodda

Postby ArchSail » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 am

Good suggestions - New Haven, CT Craigslist (July posting) is advertising a DS that was converted to a fishing boat. They’re throwing in the old sails and mast (missing rigging). Maybe they would part with the “extra” sailing pieces.
ArchSail

Postby Member » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:53 pm

Dont limit your search to just daysailers. Other boats of similar size may have a usable mast. Assuming you dont race it.

Postby Bandit » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:50 am

I have a tabernacle mast listed for sale in the "everything else" category in the for sale section. It is complete with everything needed to go sailing including halyards. I'm in Florida. Shipping to anywhere is cost prohibitive to say the least.
Bandit

Return to Repair and Improvement