Painting

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:49 am

When last we encountered our hero, he was beginning the process of repairing the holes in ROLIAS following a boat-lift failure and storm tossed trip upon the rocks. I decided to take the time to do a thorough repair job, including cosmetic repairs above the water line and stripping off the anti-fouling. Glad I did since some otherwise hidden cracks in the bottom of the hull showed up once the anti-fouling was gone. Now I have a filled, sanded, mostly stripped hull waiting to be brought back to gleaming life.
Questions: How particular do I need to be about removing the faint spots of green antifouling that are scattered about the hull? I plan on painting the entire hull with Interlux Brightsides and foregoing antifouling since the boat is essentially dry sailed in fresh water. Will the primer cover up the green?

Also, do I treat the hull as previously painted and just use a solvant, or do I have to do something to the newly exposed glass before applying the primer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve (sjlink502-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:04 pm

P.S. The hull was and will be white.

Steve (sjlink502-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:21 pm

I'm in the process of using the Interlux Brightsides myself. When I've finished getting rid of the old paint, my plan is to wipe the fiberglass doen with acetone to ensure the surface is really clean and ready to paint.
My opinion, from all that I've read and some previous experience, is that you should get the old coats completely off before attempting a new one. If your were redoing the anti-fouling paint I understand you could just go for it. But your new primer needs a clean base to ensure it adheres. That said, poly paint is pretty forgiving...
Cheers, Ed

Ed Humphries (edh3007-at-bellsouth.net)

Return to Repair and Improvement