the ongoing saga of the centerboard leak

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

the ongoing saga of the centerboard leak

Postby Roger » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:36 pm

I was able to torque down the nuts tonight, but not sure how far I can go. The walls of the cb trunk have not started to squeeze in yet, nor has the fg started to crack. I do believe I am compressing the washers more, but the nut certainly has not 'seated' yet. Inspection from underneath, with lights shining on the nuts from inside the bilge does not appear to show any light ie. no visible cracks or gaps.

I think at this stage, I will apply some heavy white lithuim grease to each side of the nuts, and drop it into the water and see if it lets water in or not.

Any experienced comments at this time would be welcome!
Roger

Postby psness » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:56 pm

Roger, let me know if the grease helps. How bad is your leak (about how much per hour)? My leak is fairly fast (about 2-3 gallons per hour) and can't believe it could come in that fast from the cb bolt.
psness

haven't applied the grease yet

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:20 am

but hope to do so and get it wet on Saturday. My leak rate is about 7.5 gallons per 4 hours so translated that is almost 2 gal/hr. 1 gal in 30 min, 1 quart every 12.5 minutes or about 2.5 ounces per minute.

The good news though is that with the bilge full of water and over 5 inches in the cockpit, she still floats at just over the waterline... and I was able to pull it up onto the trailer in this condition.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement