Refinishing tiller on 71 DS II

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Refinishing tiller on 71 DS II

Postby twista » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:51 pm

My tiller is a bit aged(weathered but solid) and needs some attention. I'm not sure what I should use to refinish it and I'm looking for any helpful hints or ideas.
twista

tiller restoration

Postby Roger » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:24 pm

When I acquired my DS II the tiller was mostly bare wood, with dryness cracks in some places. I sanded the gray areas back to new wood, and I used WEST system epoxy (with 207 clear hardner) to both fill the cracks, (let dry, then sand until flush with the surrounding surface) and then put a durable finish on it. I sanded it once more, then another thin coat, let it dry and a few coats of marine varnish to UV protect the epoxy finish.

I also had to do some repair to the rudder blade and head, as well as replace some of the through bolts, but that's a different story.

Click on the link below and browse through the pictures (2) until you see the transom pic

It's not a closeup shot unfortunately, but take my word, it does look good!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2227560093
Last edited by Roger on Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

tiller finish

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Depending on the material and the finish on other woodwork on your boat, I'd use either a deep penatrating oil or a varnish. There are dozens of products out there; I use Captains varnish, which is the cheapest on the shelf, but seems to wear as good as the rest.

With the varnish, be sure you thin the first coat so that it soaks into the wood well.
Peter McMinn

Return to Repair and Improvement