Stripping Bottom Paint

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Stripping Bottom Paint

Postby psness » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:57 am

My DSII has very old bottom paint that is faded blue, somewhat brittle in some places and I'd like to remove it and put on new. I started scraping and have come to realize it might take all summer to do it this way. Has anyone tried a stripping product like "Peel Away" or "Strip Away" (not sure about the name)? I was wondering how well it works.
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

Peel-Away 7

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:01 am

Paul,
The recommendation is to try a quart of Peel-Away 7, with paper, and see what effect it has on your paint. You should follow label directions and apply it as they recommend. Also, you should apply the paper, (seperate product) over the top. This will allow the paste to work in to the old paint on your boat. The paper slows the drying of the paste from the air side down to the paint and gives the chemicals a chance to work from the bottom up. This is a faster process, though more expensive intially.
www.dumondchemicals.com or their email at plaway@aol.com or www.peelaway.com. My sales literature from dumond says that it is designed to work on figerglass (including removal of gel stain).

I have used this product in other applications with great success. There are other products that will do the same thing, only faster. The problem with these products are they may attack the resin in the fiberglass and weaken the glass itself. The Peel-away 7 is a slower process, but more environmentally friendly, and not necessarily designed to weaken the resins or glass in a fiberglass application. Remember, you can always apply a second coat and keep it working till you get to the layer of paint you want to stop at.

Dave
Dave

Postby psness » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 am

Is the "peel-away 7" better/safer to use on boats than their marine product? Where do you get the paper? Same place?
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

Peel away 7

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Paul,

I spoke with Dumond Chemicals today and the answer is yes. This is the product to use to strip away old/excess paint from your figerglass boat. This was designed with the do-it-yourselfer in mind. It is designed to go down to the gel-coat and stop. The paper is also available at the same location you buy the Peel-away 7 at. Now, here is the grin, I work for Sherwin-Williams. Sherwin-Williams can order this stuff for you if they do not have it in stock. Both the paper and the peelaway. Please email me for further information.
Dave
Dave

Stripping Bottom Paint

Postby DS 129 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:13 pm

I am not up on "Peelaway 7", but I was given a pail of the original "Peelaway" about 10 years ago. I tried some on window trim, and found it was the worst crap I had used in 40 years. I believe formulation then was based on a strong caustic, which had to be neutralized and washed extensively with water. You can imagine the condition of the wood grain after all that. My suggestion is that if you have some Peelaway, it best be used as a drain cleaner.

You can try the paint removers that are sold in the marine stores labled as for fiberglass, but they are expensive and so weak, that it would take 2 or 3 gallons and take all summer.

The most effective paint remover, I found going back 40 years was as sold by Sears. I haven't had occasion to use it recently, so I don't know what their current formulation is, or if they still sell it

I did my DS a couple years ago. Used a "semi-paste" type from local hardware discount. It worked fine. You may need to do 2 or 3 times even with this, as it may only soften one coat at a time. Do small areas about 1 or 2 sq. feet at a time. Use gloves and glasses and apply with a brush about 2", wait a few minutes until the paint puckers up, and remove with broad, putty knife or scraper, discarding the guck to newspaper for disposal. Softening of the gel coat was very, very minimal, and hardens back up after the solvent evaporates, and you are going to light sand the surface afterwoods anyway.

Depending upon how much paint to be removed, it may take a couple quarts, you may as well get a gallon for a few bucks more than the 2 qts.
DS 129

Postby psness » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:17 am

Thanks for all your advice. I emailed Dumond and asked about the difference between "peel away 7" and their "marine safety strip" and they replied that it is the same product, just one marketed for boats (and probably more expensive).
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

Postby psness » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:14 am

Has anyone used Interlux 299E? What are your opinions on this product?
Paul Ness
1979 DS II
Lake Marburg, PA
psness

Return to Repair and Improvement