Washing and waxing

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Washing and waxing

Postby Frank Marafiote » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:45 pm

I am the new owner of a DSII and am getting ready for the new season. Before I bring my boat to its summer launching area, I want to give it a good washing and wax the hull. Before I start using the automotive soaps and waxes in my garage, I thought I'd ask if there is any advantage to using products specifically meant for boats?
Frank Marafiote

The Answer

Postby Frank Marafiote » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:25 pm

A friend of mine who has had several small sailboats told me that he got great results using Mequires auto wash on his boats, followed by a boat wax called "Mary Kate Maxiwax and Cleaner." He'd use the wax on the all surfaces that did not have the anti-skid surface.
Frank Marafiote

Postby Rick McDuffie » Sun May 01, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi Frank,

I have a '73 DSII, and when I got it the gelcoat had that dead, chalky appearance- yellowed and stained. If yours is like that, you've got to get the dead gelcoat off before it'll shine. I wetsanded with 600 grit sandpaper, then moved to 1000, 1500 and finally 2000 (rinsing and scrubbing completely between the different papers). I still haven't waxed it, because it's white again and shines brilliantly! It was well worth the effort to have a restored gelcoat. I recommend it.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing to our other DSII now... it's a basket case (red hull, and much worse than the white boat was). It'll look like new when I'm finished.

Those sandpapers are available from auto paint shops.

Rick
Rick McDuffie

sanding vs waxing

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon May 02, 2005 1:10 pm

I second Rick's approach. Nothing looks better than highly polished gelcoat via high-grit wet-sanding. You should be aware though of how much you're taking off. My '60 DS 1 has had this treatment many times over the years, and the gelcoat is starting to get very thin in spots.
Peter McMinn

Surface is still OK

Postby Frank Marafiote » Mon May 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. From what I can tell, the surface of the hull is still in good condition. There are a few small scrape marks here and there, and in the front the roller left a little rubber along the front edge. I thought I'd wax it to get it that "almost as good as new look."

Does your sailing technique improve if you keep your boat in good condition?
Frank Marafiote

Return to Repair and Improvement