jib tracks loose and can't be tightened

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

jib tracks loose and can't be tightened

Postby bfvsforever » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:48 pm

I am restoring a Daysailer II and the jib tracks are loose and I can't tighten them as 3 nuts are spinning in the fibreglass and one is missing, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
bfvsforever

jib tracks

Postby Jtwiss » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:51 pm

The same thing has occured on my 71 DSll...Two of the bolts actually came off just before I put the boat away for the winter..I will have to do the repair in the spring and was wondering if you found a solution...

Thank Jon :cry:
Jtwiss

loose jib track

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:52 pm

The solution involves getting behind the tracks and adding backing to new bolts. I have some pictures of how to access the area. It involves cutting in two new inspection ports at the back of the cuddy which access the seat back and the old backing plate.

My e-mail is roger02@mts.net.
Roger

re: jib track repair

Postby bfvsforever » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:17 pm

Hi, yes I have found a solution, Roger Conrad showed me how he repaired his. He wrote a book on how to repair the Daysailer, he also has a web site, I ordered his book and CD. I recommend the CD as the pictures are digital and much clearer than in the book. The repair consists of cutting inspection ports in the cuddy bulkhead to access the area behind the seat back on each side, there is a wood strip that is glassed in to hold the screws. It eventually rots and will no longer hold the screws. The fix is to drill all the way through and use stainless steel screws with fender washers and nuts to go into the hull accessable through the inspection ports that you are going to cut in. Again I recommend the CD as it shows the location of the ports and the finished repair. Good Luck, Bob Tuttle
Boat's name is "If all else fails, BAIL!!!"
bfvsforever

Return to Repair and Improvement